Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Autograph Quilt for Boy In Car Accident >

Autograph Quilt for Boy In Car Accident

Autograph Quilt for Boy In Car Accident

Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 AM

Default Autograph Quilt for Boy In Car Accident

Last week one of our employees was hit by a car while crossing the street at 3 am! He had just turned 21 years old. The impact forced him through the windshield. He suffered broken bones in both legs and had many other injuries but survived and is in the hospital slowly recovering. We all wanted to do something special so I volunteered to make him a quilt. We have a lot of employees so I used two 12 1/2 inch blocks and had everyone sign one block with a fine tip sharpie permanent marker (wish I would have thought about using a fabric marker for this but now it's too late!). I followed instructions that I found on the internet to set the markers and make them permanent on the fabric. The markers respond to heat and will become permanent if you apply heat. I experimented with this process and it works pretty good. The signatures should withstand cold water wash and should last for many washings.

It's a very simple quilt and took about 12 hours to make. One of the gals is taking the lap quilt to him today.

We are all routing for a speedy recovery for him. It will be several months and I am sure many therapy sessions before he is able to return to work.
Attached Thumbnails dscn2885.jpg   dscn2886.jpg   dscn2890.jpg   dscn2891.jpg   dscn2892.jpg  

Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 AM

That is a wonderful quilt! It will be so much better than a card with signatures. He will treasure it during his recuperation and long beyond that.

I like that the signatures are in different colors.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 AM

I believe a new quilt always speeds recovery along.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

very nicely done, so thoughtful, and a true memory of how much he means to his coworkers
Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 AM

What a wonderful thing to do! He will appreciate it and reading all the notes will be a good thing to keep his mind off his injuries some of the time! It's a great quilt!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

So sorry about the accident, wishing him a speedy recovery. Your quilt and all the signatures will help cheer him up! So thoughtful of you to make it.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Love the quilt, hope he has a speedy recovery!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM

Luv the way you did the signatures in one square and different colors. Very cheerful. Very thoughtful of you.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM

I'm sure he will really appreciate the gift of the quilt.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 PM

What a lovely thing for you to do! I know we are all different, but I want to say that I felt so very loved when I snuggled with my gifted quilts during cardiac surgery recovery. I had a prayer quilt from a local church group, and a quilt gifted by friends in a quilt forum (Thanks to Charisma and her friends) and another from a friend who felt guided to give it in the name of the Lord, "just because". I believe the love in those quilts were very healing and I will always cherish them. So, I am praying for this young man and healing on all levels. ;-)