Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Autumn placemats >

Autumn placemats

Autumn placemats

Old 09-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Default Autumn placemats

Isn't this fabric lovely? I figured it would hide stains pretty well on Thanksgiving! I took a long length of fabric, sandwiched it, and quilted the big piece. The quilting design is swirls and pumpkins in a variegated orange/yellow/cream. I then cut the six placemats out and bound them. As usual, I used a feather stitch to sew down my bindings.

One of of my more recent discoveries is how easy it is to bind my projects if I have served the edges first. It gives a firm, even edge. I don't even have to pin, clip, or glue the binding before the feather stitch since it wraps so smoothly.

Pam
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 09-21-2015, 07:49 PM

Beautiful fall colors!!

Could you do a tutorial? I'm having trouble binding some place mats for my son and his fiance. Or maybe just tell us how you did it, please.

Thank you.
Ellie
Old 09-21-2015, 07:54 PM

Beautiful fabric - a real taste of Autumn
Old 09-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Pretty placemats!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 PM

They are very easy! Take a piece of fabric that is 15-18" long for each placemat you want plus another yard or so for binding. Cut the fabric in half, long ways (reserving the fabric you will use for the binding). That will give you two long pieces of fabric, each about 20" or so wide. Layer the fabric with batting (I use warm and natural because it washes so well). Quilt as desired. I would recommend a simple all-over design - meanders, stars, leaves, pumpkins, etc to make it easy. Measure the length of the complete quilted sandwich since it will have shrunk some in the quilting process. Cut the placemats out based on your measurements. I like mine around 15x20 or so. I then serge the edges of the placemats, just to make it easier to handle. Totally optional if you do t have a serger. Then bind with whatever method you generally use. I use straight binding (not bias) and miter the corners, just like a quilt. Remember these will be washed frequently so a machine-sewn binding is quite appropriate.

I have made a lot of these, and they wash up beautifully! My son is still using some I made 4 years ago, but the edges are getting a little worn. Note these will shrink up more the first time you wash them, so make them good sized.

Pam
Old 09-22-2015, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

very nice... i had fabric like that for the table... loved it
Old 09-22-2015, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
They are very easy! Take a piece of fabric that is 15-18" long for each placemat you want plus another yard or so for binding. Cut the fabric in half, long ways (reserving the fabric you will use for the binding). That will give you two long pieces of fabric, each about 20" or so wide. Layer the fabric with batting (I use warm and natural because it washes so well). Quilt as desired. I would recommend a simple all-over design - meanders, stars, leaves, pumpkins, etc to make it easy. Measure the length of the complete quilted sandwich since it will have shrunk some in the quilting process. Cut the placemats out based on your measurements. I like mine around 15x20 or so. I then serge the edges of the placemats, just to make it easier to handle. Totally optional if you do t have a serger. Then bind with whatever method you generally use. I use straight binding (not bias) and miter the corners, just like a quilt. Remember these will be washed frequently so a machine-sewn binding is quite appropriate.

I have made a lot of these, and they wash up beautifully! My son is still using some I made 4 years ago, but the edges are getting a little worn. Note these will shrink up more the first time you wash them, so make them good sized.

Pam

thanks for the instructions
Old 09-22-2015, 03:22 AM

Very nice. Love the Fall fabric
Old 09-22-2015, 04:12 AM

Thanks for the info. Never thought of doing all the quilting and then cutting the place mats--really great time saver! If you don't have a serger, you can do a narrow zigzag instead. It definitely does help!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

Yes, that is beautiful fabric for your lovely placemats.