Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bamboo Batting >

Bamboo Batting

Bamboo Batting

Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 PM

I love your quilts. Can't get enough of them. I have felt the bamboo, but can't afford to use it.
Your work is gorgeous.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:51 PM

You did this in the last few days? Beautiful! It would take me a few months I'm sure to do that.
I have used the bamboo in machine quilting and love it. I can see how you would like it to hand quilt with
Old 06-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing your experience with the bamboo...your work is exquisite...Ah...I can but dream!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I have a close friend who tried the bamboo batting when it first came out and it bearded something horrible. I noticed a couple of little white dots on your piece and wondered if it was still having the bearding problem it used to.
No, I can't say it's bearding. There are just some fibres of the batting edges that are not covered with fabric and you can brush them off very easily. They don't come through the fabric, just lay on it. I used a lighter colored thread for quilting I tried to avoid points where stitches meet - but obviously this doesn't work perfectly.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
I have used the bamboo in a machine quilted baby quilt. Would you like me to post it here?
Yes, I would love to see the baby quilt! Please post some pictures.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Pam

I have posted this before and am doing it now to show how the bamboo batting worked with the machine quilting. After I washed it the batting shrunk a very tiny bit, just enough to puff out a little in the areas with no quilting, making the stitches show even more. It is very soft and drapes well. Noah's Mommy reports that he likes his quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-80140.jpe  
Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I'll have to try the Bamboo if you are getting results like both of these :shock: ...oh wait...I have to be able to put together quilts and designs this beautiful first to get those results :oops:
Old 06-06-2010, 06:53 AM

dont stop posting your beautiful quilt pics. I want to see more of them.

turtlerouge
Old 06-06-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'll have to try the Bamboo if you are getting results like both of these :shock: ...oh wait...I have to be able to put together quilts and designs this beautiful first to get those results :oops:
That is what I was thinking. I would have to be able to piece that well and quilt that well first. Funny!
I enjoy looking at you quilts so much.
And Pam your baby quilt is adorable. Well worth the second look.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
:lol: You are too funny! :lol:

It sounds like the bamboo batting has improved from what it was like when it first came out a couple years ago. I'll have to keep my eye out for it and try it out.

As for cost, I would think that once it has found a nitch in the market it should be cheaper then cotton or wool or polyester batting. The entire point of it is that it is a green product. Bamboo only takes 8 weeks or so to regrow and as such it should end up costing much less then other bats because it is easily renewable. Doesn't that make sense?