Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Batik FMQ Table Runner >

Batik FMQ Table Runner

Batik FMQ Table Runner

Old 08-21-2011, 06:33 AM

Great work, hope you keep a pattern of this for when you create a book on patterns done on a domestic machine. Good idea.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Every time I see a finished FMQ done on a home machine I get excited. I really want to try it but just don't have the cofidence. Do you draw the design on first or do you actually simply move the fabric around? I really admire your work. I've watched Leah over and over again. How many practice sandwiches did you do before you dared try a quilt?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:35 AM

Wow.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 AM

very pretty!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by fivepaws
Every time I see a finished FMQ done on a home machine I get excited. I really want to try it but just don't have the cofidence. Do you draw the design on first or do you actually simply move the fabric around? I really admire your work. I've watched Leah over and over again. How many practice sandwiches did you do before you dared try a quilt?
Good questions...

I did a LOT of practice pieces before I did anything that I considered to be a "keeper"! At first I did small projects, lots of them, before I ever attempted a quilt. Then I did baby quilts, lap quilts, a twin quilt, and finally, now, I can do queen sized quilts without a problem. It took me over 2 years to get that far.

Whether or not I draw the design first depends on what I'm trying to do. If I want a very regular and symmetrical design, I will draw it first. If I want a more flowing design, like this one, I'll only draw the spine of the feather so I get it laid out where I want it on the piece and to ensure that both ends will meet. If I'm doing something more 'artistic', I'll just start out stitching and see where it takes me. When FMQ on pieced work like normal quilt tops, I'll often use the piecing lines as guidelines in my design. So the answer to whether or not I mark is, "It all depends..."

If you're wanting to get started you might consider a class at a LQS to get the ball rolling. You probably won't like your quilting at first, but you'll be learning techniques and likely get some good direction in how to start building your own FMQ skills. And you'll probably have some good laughs with your classmates who are also attempting to learn a whole new skill; I know I did! :lol:

Leah's designs are great to practice on, by the way! I LOVE her site and get ideas from it all the time.

So, if you want to FMQ, just dive right in and you can work through the problems you encounter as you go. You'll get tons of good advice and help on this board for sure. :thumbup:

Wendy
Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Great work, hope you keep a pattern of this for when you create a book on patterns done on a domestic machine. Good idea.
Wouldn't that be fun! Maybe we could start a topic here just for that purpose. I've been thinking about asking our dear moderators what they think of the idea. There are lots of talented folks here who could contribute to a library of FMQ designs.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
Originally Posted by fivepaws
Good questions...

I did a LOT of practice pieces before I did anything that I considered to be a "keeper"! At first I did small projects, lots of them, before I ever attempted a quilt. Then I did baby quilts, lap quilts, a twin quilt, and finally, now, I can do queen sized quilts without a problem. It took me over 2 years to get that far.

Whether or not I draw the design first depends on what I'm trying to do. If I want a very regular and symmetrical design, I will draw it first. If I want a more flowing design, like this one, I'll only draw the spine of the feather so I get it laid out where I want it on the piece and to ensure that both ends will meet. If I'm doing something more 'artistic', I'll just start out stitching and see where it takes me. When FMQ on pieced work like normal quilt tops, I'll often use the piecing lines as guidelines in my design. So the answer to whether or not I mark is, "It all depends..."

If you're wanting to get started you might consider a class at a LQS to get the ball rolling. You probably won't like your quilting at first, but you'll be learning techniques and likely get some good direction in how to start building your own FMQ skills. And you'll probably have some good laughs with your classmates who are also attempting to learn a whole new skill; I know I did! :lol:

Leah's designs are great to practice on, by the way! I LOVE her site and get ideas from it all the time.

So, if you want to FMQ, just dive right in and you can work through the problems you encounter as you go. You'll get tons of good advice and help on this board for sure. :thumbup:

Wendy
Thanks, Wendy for taking the time to encourage me. I wish we had a LQS near us. I will keep watching Leah and someday, I will write and say "I did it all by myself!!".
Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 AM

WOW! Looks great!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:23 AM

I think it is fantastic.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:44 AM

I think it is awesome.