Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
To Batt or Not to Batt, That Is The Question >

To Batt or Not to Batt, That Is The Question

To Batt or Not to Batt, That Is The Question

Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

I would use at least a thin batting. I have never used minkee. I see where you posted that you were goning to take out the quilting and start over. I too always start in the center and also always quilt next to quilting. This way just turns out best for me.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
This is what I do also with all backings. I have made several quilts with fleece and a pieced top - no shifting. Minkee with a pieced top - no shifting.
Oh boy! I thought I had this all figured out. I want to make 4 small/lap quilts for my adult kids for Christmas. I got Minkee at least 2 years ago for it and never got them made. Well, I scoured the QB for info about sewing with Minky and got fabric for the fronts.....various panels with different themes and decided not to use batting. I figured that I needed to do some kind of quilting to hold the 2 layers together and got it that you sew with the Minkee on the bottom and with a walking foot. I wasn't going to try much fm quilting (too new to it), just more or less in the ditch of the seams. center panel and side panels, and maybe try some simple designs in the large panels to hold it together.

AlienQuilter, when you say Minkee with pieced top, no shifting.....did you do any quilting on it? These will be about 55x60, unless I decide to make them narrower, maybe 48x60. What to do???
Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 PM

I don't think you need batting. the decorator fabric will give it some weight aned the minkee some fluff
Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ruthrings View Post
I thought Minkee almost always substituted for batting, especially for a baby. I vote no batting.
me too........
Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 AM

I just made a minkee rag quilt - both sides the same, I used warm and natural batting so glad I did...I like my throws, quilts ect...to have a little thickness to them.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:33 AM

I made a minkie backed quilt for my grandson......flannel front, I used a warm and natural batt..... it is heavy, but they keep their house so cold..... he loves it! As much as any 2 year old can!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:44 AM

I didn't use batting on a quilt that I backed with flannel because I thought it would be too heavy. I do not like the results. The quilt is too flat and the quilting is not defined. Minkee might be different, but I think if it was me, I would use a thin batting just based on my previous experience.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:47 AM

I always like to put batting in mine. But, it is fine not to.