Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bay Attic Window >

Bay Attic Window

Bay Attic Window

Old 12-08-2016, 03:51 AM

Very impressive.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:12 AM

You've done a wonderful job with your Attic Windows. Well done.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:48 AM

you don't need any advice! those are great.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:56 AM

since the placement of the lighter fabric of indicates where the sun is coming from, I would make all the "shadows" go the same direction...in number 3 you have four columns of window panes. the two right ones are made showing the light/sun coming from the upper left (since the lighter color is on the bottom) while the two right ones indicate that the sun is coming from the upper right (based on where the light/dark strips are). To get a more realistic look (if that's what you're going for) I'd move the darker strips in the two left columns on the left of the pane, just like you did on the two right hand columns. alternately you could change the dark strips on the two right hand columns. does that make sense?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:57 AM

They're all great but that Bay window is inspiring!
Old 12-08-2016, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
since the placement of the lighter fabric of indicates where the sun is coming from, I would make all the "shadows" go the same direction...in number 3 you have four columns of window panes. the two right ones are made showing the light/sun coming from the upper left (since the lighter color is on the bottom) while the two right ones indicate that the sun is coming from the upper right (based on where the light/dark strips are). To get a more realistic look (if that's what you're going for) I'd move the darker strips in the two left columns on the left of the pane, just like you did on the two right hand columns. alternately you could change the dark strips on the two right hand columns. does that make sense?
I love them all, but especially the bay window. I've never seen a bay window before.

I think you have the lights in the correct place: at the bottom. That is where the sun is shining. But the middle "post" would not be showing at all. You would not see both sides of that post. You wouldn't even see one side. That is a dilemma, but if you do it the way you did, we understand.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:44 AM

Thank you for all the replies. I'm so pleased they have been an inspiration for some. I am inspired by many on the board, so it's nice to give something back. Thank you to ktbb and maviskw for your advise.I very much appreciate it. It is a dilemma over the shading as I don't want to lose the optical illusion of the bay. It' called Pathway through my Garden by Ellen B and I found the PDF she kindly did on Delphiforums; I don't think I'm allowed to add the link on the board , but if you "Google it"you will find it.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:30 AM

I love your windows! I love your variations.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:22 PM

I love them all, well done, particularly with the bay window
Old 12-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I think you did a fantastic job. The third was a challenge that I think you met. My only advice on the bay window would be to look at a bay and see how the light comes thru all panes. The light in your bay is coming from both sides and it doesn't look bad I just don't know if its realistic. I'm sure you already know you need more contrast in the sides and bottom. As far as which way to put the light, side or bottom its a personal choice. I think in the first two the light is perfect. Again kudos to you for figuring out the bay!