Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bear Paw quilt I just finished (115 X 115)

Thank you ania, this was my first attempt at free motion and I wasn't quite sure how it would look on this particular design, but I think it turned out OK.......at least it's good enough for me........and that's all that counts ........right :?: :?: :?: lol

What a wonderful accomplishment! I love your choice of colors and prints!

joyful, Fantastic :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:Pam W. :) :) :)

Bev
    8) It's just gorgeous!!
    I love your color choices. This gives me the inspiration to get started on the queen size quilt I've been putting off making because of the size.

I'm so impressed. The quilt is just beautiful.

Thank you Bev for the compliment. This quilt is actually a king size and it works as a bedspread, but to be able to quilt it on my regular sewing machine I had to cut the batting into 3 different sections. I pinned the batting between the bottom fabric and the quilt top in the middle section first and just rolled the fabric up on each side where there was no batting. This eliminated the extra bulk on the sides and was much easier to fit in the machine. I quilted the middle section, then unrolled the first side, did a zig zag seam to sew the outer section of the batting to the middle section, then pinned and quilted the outer section, then repeated the whole process for the other side. I had to use the free motion technique even for "in the ditch" stitching around the points as it was still too large to flip around, and that was a little difficult at first, but I got better at it after a little practice. It was a challenge, but I think it worked out well and I am very happy with it. :D

Beautiful and the colors are great. Sometimes it worth it to wait for the perfect fabrics. Looks great on the bed. It is huge.

Great work.

Kyia

Your quilt is beautiful. I love the Bear Paw pattern and your choice of colors is outstanding.

Shirley

Joyful - I am glad I finally got to see your quilt. What a fantastic job. I love the quilting and you make me want to start practicing. Marylou

I just saw your quilt. It is georgeous!!! I am quite new to quilting and am in awe of everyone's work. What size does 115x115 fit?

I took a beginning piecing class that was 7 weeks long and we finished a lap quilt top. Now I need to make the "sandwhich" and quilt it which makes my palms sweat thinking about it.

Thanks for sharing.

rita

Oh wow! That is gorgeous!

What a beautiful quilt - I just love those fabrics!

Your quilt is just beautiful. How I envy you. You have the wonderful ability to select and cordinate colors and that is where I really struggle. I do believe it is a God given talent. My hat is off to all of you who post the pictures of your beautiful quilts.

Wow you did a great job! It is beautiful.

Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments. You are such a good group and people and there are so many beautiful quilts to look at. It's like going to a quilt show every day !! I love being a part of it all !!

I'm fairly new to quilting and very new to machine quilting. How did you quilt this is sections as you described? How do you get the sections together once they are quilted?

GMarie

This answered my questions about how to machine quilt in sections! Makes perfect sense! I am currently making a large quilt for our camper and it was way too big to machine quilt so I am hand-quilting it - which I also enjoy. I will remember this tip for next time though!!

I guess someone else answered your question :?: :?: :?: If not, I can e mail you the instructions in more detail. :-)

Beautiful job and it really fits in with your country theme with your careful selection of fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by joyful_noise
    I guess someone else answered your question :?: :?: :?: If not, I can e mail you the instructions in more detail. :-)
    No, you did actually in another post when you talked about putting the batting in sections to quilt it. It is so beautiful!! And you have no idea how much you have helped me with your batting description!! Thanks!

I don't know what it is, but I keep coming back to this one thinking that of all the traditional patterns, I want to try this one next. Maybe I've just been inspired by the great job you've done and the beautiful way it's put together. At any rate this one has had my noodles going a mile a minute this last few days and it seems I'll eventually need to do something about it. :D

Your quilt is a great inspiration to all of us. Thank-you! Love your colors!

Great job and here I am always complaining because I don't have enough room to spread out. Your colors are great too.

Blog Entries
    I did a bear paw once in shades of green and tan it looked great but after seeing yours it looks a little boring. Great job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast