Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Block problems >

Block problems

Block problems

Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 PM

Unhappy Block problems

I am just getting into quilting and have made some simple blocks. However I am disappointed to find some imperfections that I am worried might cause me problems down the line. These are some examples:

It has some rippling and the dimensions are slightly off on one side

In the center the stitching doesn't line up

A large ripple at the bottom

Am I doing well enough to try more advanced blocks or should I not be having these problems? Any tips or suggestions?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:41 PM

Steam and busy fabrics and no one will ever see those "mistakes"! Seriously, get over it, you're doing great, I say go for it!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:52 PM

Pressing your blocks should help. I think they look pretty good. If you are concerned about the centers, make sure your seems nest together and try one pin to hold when sewing. Great start. Look forward to seeing quilt when you are done.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:55 PM

I love your fabric choices and your workmanship. I'd put those blocks in my quilt.

You can starch your fabric before cutting. That helps a good bit. Especially when working with a bias edge. There are many online videos and such to help you if those imperfections are going to drive you crazy. For example, there are many ways to make half square triangles. Some people get better results with one instead of another.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 PM

I'd say it depends... When you start you want to complete something so badly. It was suggested to me to make something 'small' for myself first ( I did a runner first) so you don't sweat too much! Or put yourself off... You might want to start with cheaper material to practice too. Anything new we try..we can't expect perfection. It takes practice. Enjoy the learning and if the join is going to annoy you, try undoing and try again. Us human beings often expect perfection first time. We are all ( mostly) learning and improving. One thing I like is the glue baste rather than pins ( each to their own) I find it holds flatter and so easier to lineup. Or try a pin right on that seam or close to it when sewing together. You will improve fast, don't worry. Your color combo is great and you are not far out! Why not keep going, join up and see how it looks. It is all good practice, beyond all - have fun.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM

not very bad at all-keep going and it will be beautiful
Old 08-06-2013, 01:21 PM

I think your blocks are great. Just wondering if your seams are even. Always the same size. That could make one side larger than the other. Figure out a place on your machine that is 1/4" and try to stay with it. A stack of sticky notes on the 1/4" line would help guide you. Keep going!!!! Ann
Old 08-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
not very bad at all-keep going and it will be beautiful
I agree, practice makes perfect and you're already on the road to a really pretty quilt. Anxious to see it when it's done. BTW, welcome to the board
Old 08-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Rotary cut your starched fabric accurately. Sew with accurate 1/4 inch seams. A little dab of Elmer's washable school glue in the seam allowance helps to keep intersections in place for sewing. Your block looks very nice and just keep going. Every project will improve your skills.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

If quilt inspectors come to your house and get that close, they better be the ones buying it or show them the door and don't let it hit them in the hiney on the way out.