Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Border advice on this Irish Sunbonnet Sue Please? >

Border advice on this Irish Sunbonnet Sue Please?

Border advice on this Irish Sunbonnet Sue Please?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 AM

Hello everybody, Just wanted to tell you all that I saw Foxflower's Sunbonnet Sue quilt in person. It's just so beautiful & adorable, that you just smile looking at it. The vine work is awesome on it. LOVED IT!!!
Her & I met up while we were on vacation last week. What a sweet person FF is. Also met her 2 little ones and so cute. It was nice meeting her face to face. Her & I have been swap partners since 1- 1/2 yrs ago. She is a my very special person.
We had a great time talking quilts.
The Sue quilt is just gorgeous, now I have to start mine after seeing her's. I've put off for way to long.
jigs

Originally Posted by Foxflower View Post
Thank you all. I'm currently working on adding the embroidery details on the vine/butterfly border. I know some didn't care for it, but it's fused down and there's no way I'm removing it at this point. I might be able to removed the loudest butterfly, though it doesn't look so obvious when viewed with the whole quilt. I'm wondering if I'm finding the pieced border a bit distracted because it's on point? I'm going to see how I like just a straight pieced border, but will definitely stick with the pieced look.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 AM

The pieced border really makes it pop
Old 05-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Oh my! Very pretty!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 AM

Hi Jigs! I had great fun too. Glad to see you got home okay. Jigs is the sweetest partner ever. I've been really blessed to get to know her. So if you see her in a swap.....you will be blessed too .

Thank you all for the wonderful compliments on my quilt. I'm definitely going with a pieced border. Now, to get working on it again......

Last edited by Foxflower; 05-19-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:56 AM

I prefer the pieced border. The quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I have enjoyed looking at it and would love to see another picture when it is finished.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM

I will definitely post pictures when I get it done---whenever that may be. I have to quit getting distracted.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 PM

I love the pieced border....... it really makes it!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 AM

FF, I too am blessed to have had you as a partner and a great friend too, to meet you with a big hug. Doesn't get any better than that.
You have encouraged me so much with your beautiful quilts I saw when we met you. I'm diffidently going to start my Sun Bonnet Sue quilt now after seeing yours. It's so adorable.
The pieced border on your beauty is really going to make everything pop.
Going through emails is a 2 day job since we were go so long. So I'd better get busy. Also have 10 fabric paks to mail
off to our other swap group.
Hugs, & take care, thanks for a fun meeting.

jigs

Hi Jigs! I had great fun too. Glad to see you got home okay. Jigs is the sweetest partner ever. I've been really blessed to get to know her. So if you see her in a swap.....you will be blessed too .

Thank you all for the wonderful compliments on my quilt. I'm definitely going with a pieced border. Now, to get working on it again......
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Of all the options I like the pieced border. I know it will be time-consuming but it really is wonderful. Your top is quaint and girly, the pieced border will just add the great colors used throughout. It will be remarkable any way you decide to border your quilt.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:41 AM

Hello All. I picked this quilt back up this week after a few months away from it. I have it ready to complete the handwork on the border when I'm away from my machine next week. But, I need some opinions, advice, suggestions, whatever on a final outside border. Currently the quilt is 87" x 87". The irish chain is a mix of reproduction and vintage fabrics. The Sue blocks are vintage with some currenty embroidery added by me to finish them off. This will be a family heirloom as the sue where from my husband's grandmother's collection. So, here are a few ideas, but I am not limited to these. What do you think? Any advice or opinions appreciated. Here's the quilt......
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321946[/ATTACH]
Here's a partial pieced border. Should I continue with it?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321947[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321948[/ATTACH]
A solid border? doesn't have to be yellow.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321949[/ATTACH]
A printed border...doesn't have to be purple?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321950[/ATTACH]
Or, no further border at all, other than binding?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321951[/ATTACH]
Thanks everybody.
Hi Foxflower, Do you recall where you found this pattern. Its absoutly beautiful.