Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bow Tie Top Pieced----Now the Hard Part

Great job, it's very pretty!

Blog Entries
    It looks really nice. My bowties don't look quite as nice.

Lisa, your quilt top is so pretty! I love the colors and the border. Good job!

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Lisa, love the quilt and the border.
    I use pin basting and always have because I have the best luck with this kind of basting. Though I agree, if the quilt is large it is a killer on your back. I also use my closed fist to measure the distance between pins.
    I guess at the middle because my experience has been you don't have to be exactly dead center in the middle. I think they only use that as a measurement because you have less of a chance to have the fabric bunching up while you are quilting it.
    I would to SID if you have an in the ditch foot for your machine for the bowties, but as said by someone eariler, it will depend on the size and distance of your bowties and the space in between. If you want to stay with the geometric look then an "X" through the plain blocks would probably work. If it was me I would do a meandering stitch on those blocks.
    Long winded aren't I??

I love the spray basting. It allows you to have a very taught sandwich, much like the long arm quilters. I have found that after spraying the backing (wrong side of fabric) it is best to use masking tape and secure it to the floor so that it is taught. Then place the batting on top of the backing. I spray my batting or fabric in the garage or outside if it's not windy or cold. I have sprayed either fabric or batting and not found a difference. After smoothing out the batting on top of the backing fabric, I spray the back of my quilt top. Sometimes it is helpful to have a friend take two corners and you hold onto two corners as you transport the fabric that has been sprayed, that way you avoid the inevitable flipping that occurs and the need to pull it back apart, possibly stretching something. I usually find it helpful to lightly press the sandwich and pull everything taught and remove any bubbles. I do this from the top first, before removing the masking tape around the perimeter of the backing attaching it to the floor. Then I flip it over and make sure the backing is taught, pressing it. Remember, to spray lightly, check with your hand to feel tackiness, you won't be able to see it.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the great tips!!

Blog Entries
    interesting scrappy

So cheerful!

Blog Entries
    Love your bow ties and the border. This is a very orderly scrappy top. WOW! As for how you hung it up to show, a marvelous idea!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2