Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bowl cozies are Great! >

Bowl cozies are Great!

Bowl cozies are Great!

Old 11-04-2020, 10:05 AM

We use ours all the time & I've made many, many for gifts. I like sewingsuz's idea of the spiral bottom. Next time I make a set I will try that new method.
Your bowls turned out beautiful! If you are going to use them in the microwave don't forget to use 100% cotton, cotton thread & cotton batting. You don't want to create a fire in the microwave!
Old 11-05-2020, 03:36 PM

Default Bowl cozies are Great!

I have made lots of these bowls also. For the size of dart needed, measure and cut a corner off a ready to throw away plastic gift card. Use this to mark your darts. All four darts will be the same size. Also, I use a strip of painters tape to follow when sewing corner to corner. Using tape, I form a 'V' on each side and stitch next to the tape. This gives the bowl a bit of stability.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:21 PM

Very nice projects. That would be a nice Christmas gift for neighbors or family and friends.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:54 AM

Nice fabrics! What did you use for the batting? I most likely would not put mine in the microwave, so I wondered what may work to make it stiff enough to hold its shape. Yours turned out lovely. What size square did you start with? Thanks for showing us your cozies!
Old 11-06-2020, 04:47 AM

Thank ya'll. For batting, I used my regular quilt batting-cotton 80/20. The Youtube video that I watched had you cut 2 squares of fabric (8 1/2") and 2 squares of batting (1/2" smaller).

The first one was too small for my bowls, so, I increased size (on these) to 11 1/2" . Much Better. I used the salad plate to trace circle for spiral stitching.

I don't put them in the microwave.

I have made oversized flat "hot pads" using double batting. One stays on the counter next to microwave for hot items to land! It is a large spiral seashell. Will take a pic and post! Everyone I give one to loves them.

here's the link to the pictures I posted: Nautilus Hot Pad

Last edited by aashley333; 11-06-2020 at 04:52 AM.