Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Can someone identify this applique pattern? >

Can someone identify this applique pattern?

Can someone identify this applique pattern?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

the fabric dress of the block you show is a 30's fabric- not an 1800's fabric- 30's fabrics are quite popular & easy to find- try a search of sunbonnet sue embroidery blocks instead of trying to find quilt blocks- it looks as if someone was creative & added applique to embroidery blocks. i've seen these (girls) in many embroidery books/patterns
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 AM

I have seen this called "Little English Ladies". I am posting two pictures. The first is from a quilt show; the second is my work in progress where I am trying to decide if the setting(?) block overwhelms the little ladies. My pattern came from a Marti Michell book about scrap quilts.
Attached Thumbnails lel-pattern.jpg   photo.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Can't help with pattern design, but what treasures to have!!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
Happened upon this on the Craftsy web site: http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/...ies-quilt/4268

Sending you PM.
That's it! The embroidery on it is more than was on my original completed blocks that I found but it enhances the design. I may try some of the details on a few of the blocks to see how it will fit with the others. Thanks for sending this.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
the fabric dress of the block you show is a 30's fabric- not an 1800's fabric- 30's fabrics are quite popular & easy to find- try a search of sunbonnet sue embroidery blocks instead of trying to find quilt blocks- it looks as if someone was creative & added applique to embroidery blocks. i've seen these (girls) in many embroidery books/patterns
There's a few of the blocks that were finished that the fabrics are not exactly decayed but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to include them in a finished quilt. I figured those might have been from the late 1800's or maybe my grandmother just didn't have them in a very protected environment to cause the breakdown of the fabric. Now that I think about it, my greatgrandmother passed away when I was 5 or 6 and that was in the late 50's so you're probably right. If she was the originator of what I inherited she was probably quilting when she was in her late 60's into her 70's. She was 98 when she passed. Anyway, I'm glad I found the blocks and can't wait to put them together for my children and grandchildren. I'll be doing some research today for the embroidery blocks. Thanks for your information.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by sue z q View Post
I have seen this called "Little English Ladies". I am posting two pictures. The first is from a quilt show; the second is my work in progress where I am trying to decide if the setting(?) block overwhelms the little ladies. My pattern came from a Marti Michell book about scrap quilts.
I love the lavender block design creating the division between the ladies. That would fit what my oldest daughter said she would like. I had several dress colors to choose from but she only picked out pinks and greens so she wanted something that would blend with them. I can see if there is a common color in both prints and just add one more color to complete it. Love the embroidered flowers on your blocks. I like the solid color bonnets, too. All of mine have been cut out where the bonnet and dress are of the same fabric. Guess I'll complete them the way they started them out. Thanks for posting these.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

It is adorable! How precious to be able to have 5 generations of quilting!!!
What a treasure!