Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
can somone tell me how to fix  this ??? >

can somone tell me how to fix this ???

can somone tell me how to fix this ???

Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 PM

I've repaired dolls like this before too. You need to find a fabric of similar color to the face and make a new one, then applique it on and using fabric markers you can draw back in the facial features. Applique using small stitches up under the hairline so it doesn't show and on that drawn in chin line. You could even add a little stuffing around the chin and cheeks to give dimension so it looks like it should have been that way. Then take your own makeup blush and using a q tip put some blush on the cheeks. You can seal the face using a spray sealer by Krylon for fabric. It seems to be a daunting task, but it won't be that hard.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 PM

How about sewing her some stitches? :lol: Would make for a funny story one day.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM

That is a super job for a young person and for the first time. I don't think I would tackle it. She did a good job.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

Oh dog gone that cat! It is so cute and she did a wonderful job. I guess that cat was upset that she was playing with the doll instead of it.

Flesh colored felt would make a good face to do a small buttonhole stitch around. Just cut it out the same shape as the face on her put over the torn face and stitch. You can then use the puff paint to make a new set of eyes, nose and mouth. Who knows, it might even turn out cuter than the first face.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM
pal

I would carefully cut the head off right above the collar.

Then separate the back of the head from the front of the head by removing the stitches that are holding it together.
This way you will get the entire front section including the seam allowance.

Hold the "old head" onto a window and place the new fabric over it so that you can see through the new fabric, and then trace the face and the hair carefully with a pencil.
Add a little to the neck length so that you can slip it back under the collar and then sew it back on to the doll.
Sew the head together and stuff it.

Using regular acrylic paint (in a little plastic bottle - from Michaels etc.) paint the hair, front and back.. You can trace the face using a permanent marker (always check on a scrap piece of fabric before using on face), apply a little rouge on the cheeks and you're done with the face.
After it is dry, stuff the neck into the collar and sew it up.

If you have to change the hands because of the different fabric, you can do it the same way.

It's not difficult, just take your time.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 PM
pal

P.S. on a positive note, now your daughter can make the hair and eyes any color that she wishes.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 PM

Is it possible to cut out the remaining face and put it on a light box so you can trace the features? Then applique the new face onto the old head. Either that or put it on a copier and copy it on to fabric then applique. Maybe even print it on fusible and fuse it to the old head... My mind is reeling with ideas. I hope you can save it. My 40 y/o dtr still has the rag doll whose face I embroidered, there's another idea! Let us know how this works out.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 PM

I would carefully cut the head off right above the collar.
Maybe you should do this when you stepdaughter isn't around. I know you said she's taking this pretty well but how will she handle a decapitation?

Is it possible to cut out the remaining face and put it on a light box so you can trace the features?
Maybe it's because it's late and I can't sleep but this is starting to sound kind of gruesome. Just have to remind myself we're talking about a doll here. I'll be interested to see how you solve this problem.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 PM

Gosh, you're gd must be heartbroken, how old is she? The ladies have given you excellent advice, that's the way I would do it also. Animals acan be a pain. but you "gotta love 'em". Quote from the dinosaurs sit com of the '80's. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by imjustme
How about sewing her some stitches? :lol: Would make for a funny story one day.
A goth doll! Make her a black hood and cape, or dye her black! Or lots of buttons and make her an alien doll with lots of eyes