Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Charming Additions Scrappy started

Blog Entries
    @ momjoy6, post #24: I only wish this could be done by strip piecing. If you can figure that out let me know. Every plus sign is a different fabric. HA-HA. What did I get myself into!

I have the first 5 rows sewn so far and it's going well at this moment. I promise to post pic as I go along.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

It's going to be beautiful...

Blog Entries
    Want to make one but will prob do bigger squares! Thats a lot of tiny squares! Love the design board, makes it alot easier. great job cant wait to see it done!!

Power Poster
    Looks great, nice pattern.

Oh my gosh. Keeping all those pieces in the right places would have driven me nuts.

What a great way to use scraps. You've made a good start so looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Blog Entries
    Love it, I've seen that pattern a number of times and have added it to my to-do list. I should have a ton of scraps when I finish my farmer's wife quilt that I am paper piecing. I will have to stick up a design wall like yours, you have a nice stash of scraps.

That pattern is on my "to do" list. Your's looks really pretty!
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

Very nice design and a great way to use scraps.

here is mine....yours is alot bigger but I'm adding a plain border then something after that
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is going to be a beautiful quilt..one that you can really be proud of..I would love to make one..I think my squares will be a bit bigger....everyone is talking about this pattern..but what is the name of it? Thanks

Your quilt looks great! I like how you used painter's tape to number the block rows along the top and sides to keep them in line. I'll have to try this.
    I started cutting for this quilt last week. I'm trying to have all different fabrics, but not sure I'll manage that. Imagine how disappointed(crabby) I'll be when I have to dig out all those fabrics again and cut another 5 squares of each!
    While I'm cutting, I'm also cutting charms, 4x6 blocks, more 2.5" squares, and strips for 4 other quilts. I must be crazy, but cutting is my least favorite part of quilting, so I may as well get them all cut at once while I have the fabric in hand.

Blog Entries
    I,too, saw this and wanted to try it until I saw that it takes so much planning, but you have inspired me to try it.

Wohoa! What a great way to use the squares! Love it!
    Love 4 stchen

If it looks this good now, the finished quilt is going to be awesome.

Would it possibly work if you were to cut the cross line of the plus as one piece that would equal three squares? Less matching seams, maybe? Your quilt looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Wow you are on your way to an awesome quilt. Enjoy the process!

oh cant wait to see the finished quilt i love it... great scrappy

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for all your encouragement through this project. If you working on this quilt now or want to in the future here is what I have learned so far that may help.

Having a design board is the best way to keep the pattern right and the easiest way to work on this one.

It is not imperative that every set be different but really cool if you have enough scraps.

Starch the back of your fabric twice. Sharon Shambler says to! I agree.

My old hands found it better to cut in limited time sessions. Repetitive motion can cause issues.

Stack each color set of five in stacks of ten and caddy -corner each set in the stack. I used a deep tray and had ten stacks of ten which gave me 100 color sets. I placed a piece of cardboard on top of these and stacked the next 100 color sets on top of the first. Keeping them in an easy to count method makes it easier to keep track of what you have.

Groups of four and singles that go around the edge are seperate from the sets of five.

Take your time when seting out the sets on the design board. The instructions suggest doing one quarter of the quilt at a time and I agree because of space limitations. Be careful of what fabrics go where on the edge of the sections because there is no straight line of blocks to follow and the color sets cross into each section if you are doing it in sections.

I put a piece of painters tape on the edge of my design wall, top and side and numbered the rows and colomns and drew an arrow next to each row to indicate which direction to iron that row.

So far so good!
    thank you everyone for the good spirit you have given me.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I made this same quilt from the same magazine. My quilt is at the quilter's right now. If I can figure out how to post pixs, I will try to show it when I get it back.

That is beautiful. I have a similar pattern in one of my jelly roll books that is on my wish to make list.
    Jan x

Blog Entries
    Coming out great!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

I have had my eyes on this pattern for a long time...had not thought of it for scraps, but that is a real good idea, too. I hope I see it when you finish it.

I think your quilt is looking great,keep going & be sure to update us all
    lp

Can't wait to see it all finished! It's already gorgeous!

I just started cutting for this one today (from a FQ bundle) after browsing through my American Patchwork mag this a.m. This will be my first ever! Taking a break and wanted to see if anyone was else was working on one....so glad to see you posted some tips. I will need all the advice I can get! Have been pinning and stacking my sets in 5 and at last count I had a total of 27 sets :O
    One question I have is since I went with a size choice not given with this pattern (50"x72" without binding"), how do I figure out how many sets of 5, 4 and singles I need? Is there a math calculation I can use?

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast