Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Christmas table decoration >

Christmas table decoration

Christmas table decoration

Old 11-25-2018, 06:51 AM

Got your note. yes, I have made the doubles. I used a cut 6" and a cut 4 1/2". I forgot to add that the interfacing I use is 950 shirtweight. It adds a bit of stiffening but is very easy to turn and to topstitch (I cut it a bit smaller than the finished size). So, if I make the cut 6", finish 5 1/2", then I cut the strip at 5 1/2". BUT, being that it is 20" wide, I cut the pieces at 5" getting 4 across. This becomes the best use of the fusible and it doesn't hurt the wreath being that tiny bit narrower. Another fun thing is to do the backside (outside petals) in a stripe. With a bit of placement, you get a great pattern on the backside. I also make the hexagon wreaths (called blossom wreaths) but the calculations are a bit trickier to figure out. If you want to see an assortment of designs, go check out esty.com/AbbyLynns. They are outstanding stash busters. You will find yourself spending a day just matching up your fabrics! - TIP - for storage or shipping, cut toilet paper holders in half and stuff a 2" piece in each petal. It helps them keep their shape and doesn't add any weight for shipping. Only thing is your kids think you are nuts when you ask them to start saving the cardboard!

Last edited by klswift; 11-25-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:59 AM

Beautiful! That reminds me that I DO have the pattern and it's on my bucket list... Better get going so I can use it for this Christmas season!
Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Got your note. yes, I have made the doubles. I used a cut 6" and a cut 4 1/2". I forgot to add that the interfacing I use is 950 shirtweight. It adds a bit of stiffening but is very easy to turn and to topstitch (I cut it a bit smaller than the finished size). So, if I make the cut 6", finish 5 1/2", then I cut the strip at 5 1/2". BUT, being that it is 20" wide, I cut the pieces at 5" getting 4 across. This becomes the best use of the fusible and it doesn't hurt the wreath being that tiny bit narrower. Another fun thing is to do the backside (outside petals) in a stripe. With a bit of placement, you get a great pattern on the backside. I also make the hexagon wreaths (called blossom wreaths) but the calculations are a bit trickier to figure out. If you want to see an assortment of designs, go check out esty.com/AbbyLynns. They are outstanding stash busters. You will find yourself spending a day just matching up your fabrics! - TIP - for storage or shipping, cut toilet paper holders in half and stuff a 2" piece in each petal. It helps them keep their shape and doesn't add any weight for shipping. Only thing is your kids think you are nuts when you ask them to start saving the cardboard!
Thanks a lot, it’s a big help 😁😁😁 Just another question, did you sew the bottom and top row together and how ??? Big thanks for your help and thanks for the mention of the hexagon one ♥️♥️♥️
Old 11-25-2018, 09:37 AM

That turned out beautiful. Looks like your pretty tree has a fantastic tree skirt. Can't wait to see some other creations of yours.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
There's a bit of a typo in the link you included, and McAfee didn't like it. I googled a bit and found the correct version: https://www.etsy.com/shop/AbbyLynns?...h_query=wreath There's definitely eye candy inspiration. Thanks for the tip about the TP rolls, too.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:19 PM

Its gorgeous! So festive.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:07 AM

You did a great job!
Old 11-26-2018, 03:45 PM

So pretty, and a great job. I want to ask how you turn the squares after they are sewn right sides together. Do you leave one edge open and hand stitch after turning? Or do you have a better way?
Old 11-26-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JoyIrene View Post
So pretty, and a great job. I want to ask how you turn the squares after they are sewn right sides together. Do you leave one edge open and hand stitch after turning? Or do you have a better way?
I don’t leave a full side open, just a bit so I can turn it over and then hand stitch that bit. I’ve just made another one where I made one square 6” and the other one 8” and then I turn the overlapping fabric over so it makes like a small border around the other fabric and you can then stitch that all around with the machine.
Attached Thumbnails 08666414-c8b6-4bd0-a0ec-c31baef0911c.jpeg  
Old 11-28-2018, 07:24 AM

Thanks for all your helpful info. I like the look of using only two fabrics.