Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Christmas table decoration >

Christmas table decoration

Christmas table decoration

Old 11-30-2018, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by JoyIrene View Post
Thanks for all your helpful info. I like the look of using only two fabrics.
Here are a couple more pictures of the way I make some squares 😁 the inside fabric is 4 1/2” and the outside (green) is 6 1/2”. The wadding I use for these projects is actually not a wadding it’s called Geo Textile and I get it at the hardware store 😉 it’s quite cheap, thin and fairly stiff and I found it perfect for those sort of projects. I also use it for place mats, table runners and those bowl cosies. Of course I’m not sure if you get that sort of stuff in the States but check it out.

Grunt 1 x 10m Non-Woven Geotextile Membrane | Bunnings Warehouse
Attached Thumbnails 92ac1a34-6d74-4619-acb4-3d28134c3a68.jpeg   b01bcbc2-e7a7-4639-aac7-9e469ddd933b.jpeg   4753bd38-5ae7-4399-9d4c-a2fa00895bc9.jpeg  
Old 12-07-2018, 07:02 PM

Elfi2, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Your beautiful wreath inspired me to make one for my DIL, whose late November birthday kicks off the Christmas season. She was out of town, so I haven't given it to her yet, but I hope she'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

I used Decor Bond, a stiff iron-on interfacing. The plastic greenery in this "photo op" is from my first Christmas together with my DH, almost 47 years ago. Today I was able to buy my DIL a very similar one and an LED candle like mine as part of her gift.

It wasn't until just now that I saw in one of your posts that you have a fabric that looks identical to mine with the gold snowflakes, and here we are on opposites sides of the world!
Attached Thumbnails 20181203_candle_wreath_with_candle.jpg  

Last edited by Rose_P; 12-07-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:25 PM

I didn't use this method on my squares this time, but this youtube video shows an easy way to get mitered corners that would work well for this project if you want the self binding from the back fabric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfv1_vbrJB4&t=402s You just leave the lower fabric bigger on all sides by twice the width of your desired contrast edge. (This works for quilts of any size, too.)

I do have one quibble with the video: if you make the first fold on the border/binding before you cut the corner off, the fabric on the underside will go all the way to the corner, and you won't have a risk of it curling back in the wash. However, the seam in the corner will be thicker, so maybe that's her reason for doing it as she does.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:28 AM

Beautiful table decoration, you are very clever!
Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Elfi2, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Your beautiful wreath inspired me to make one for my DIL, whose late November birthday kicks off the Christmas season. She was out of town, so I haven't given it to her yet, but I hope she'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

I used Decor Bond, a stiff iron-on interfacing. The plastic greenery in this "photo op" is from my first Christmas together with my DH, almost 47 years ago. Today I was able to buy my DIL a very similar one and an LED candle like mine as part of her gift.

It wasn't until just now that I saw in one of your posts that you have a fabric that looks identical to mine with the gold snowflakes, and here we are on opposites sides of the world!
Ohhh Rose this is beautiful too 😁😁 Funny, like you said, identical fabric combination taste and at different ends of the world ♥️♥️♥️
Old 12-11-2018, 04:25 AM

I didn't use this method on my squares this time, but this youtube video shows an easy way to get mitered corners that would work well for this project if you want the self binding from the back fabric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfv1_vbrJB4&t=402s You just leave the lower fabric bigger on all sides by twice the width of your desired contrast edge. (This works for quilts of any size, too.)

I do have one quibble with the video: if you make the first fold on the border/binding before you cut the corner off, the fabric on the underside will go all the way to the corner, and you won't have a risk of it curling back in the wash. However, the seam in the corner will be thicker, so maybe that's her reason for doing it as she does.
I’ll have to watch that, don’t quite know what you mean but I’ve done one with the back fabric folded to the front to make a different coloured edge, I think it was my “piece of resistance” 😂 I posted it on QB, you will find it under “well this trial...” Just trying a second one 😁 Will post it as soon as it’s finished 😉
Old 12-11-2018, 04:38 AM

Well I watched it Rose and now I understand what you meant and truly it was new to me so thank you for pointing it out, I will try this method on one of my next project 👍👍👍
Old 12-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Thank you, Elfi2, for not being annoyed with me for copying! I tried to use a different stitch pattern, at least. I have one that's a row of Christmas trees, but I couldn't figure out how to turn the corners with them and gave up because of time pressure. Maybe someday I'll use them for something.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:11 AM

Thank you, Elfi2, for not being annoyed with me for copying! I tried to use a different stitch pattern, at least. I have one that's a row of Christmas trees, but I couldn't figure out how to turn the corners with them and gave up because of time pressure. Maybe someday I'll use them for something.
Hahahaha, isn't that funny Rose, I have also about half a meter of fabric with rows of Christmas trees in different sizes, just the green trees with stars around and I was figuring out how to use it as the trees will then be turned sideways and I can't see it looking very nice so I decided to keep it for another project next year!!! Enjoy making your projects and good luck for everything to turn out just the way you hope it would!!! <3
Old 12-12-2018, 03:12 AM

Oh My! You did an amazing job right down to the decorative stitches. The fabric is so pretty and compliments your tree perfectly. Merry Christmas to you and one and all!