Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Collage Wall Hanging >

Collage Wall Hanging

Collage Wall Hanging

Old 01-06-2021, 07:06 PM

Default Collage Wall Hanging

Had to share this picture and story - a dear friend of mine (who does not sew/quilt) travels across country every year to visit for 10 days and finally, this year, I was able to encourage her into my sewing room. She had lots of fun making this fabric collage wall hanging which I've just finished quilting/binding for her. It's so much fun to introduce someone who has been so reluctant and see them catch the fabric fever. And it certainly doesn't hurt to spread a little Peace around given the craziness in the world these days!

linda-sue-peace-sign-wall-hanging.jpg
Old 01-06-2021, 07:10 PM

Oh my gosh it is just lovely. She obviously has a gift of working with color. Great job. Beautiful!
Old 01-06-2021, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

Pretty peace sign collage! We could all use a little peace right now.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:13 AM

My first response was...Wow! I love everything about this fabric collage. I think the background fabric is perfect to allow the colors to shine. If you used a tutorial for how you went about making this collage, I would be interested in having out guild try it out in a workshop...we can meet in a gym where we are 20 feet apart. Thanks and tell your friend she is very talented.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:19 AM

How beautiful is that? What a creative and fun project...it appears she enjoyed the making of it and what a thoughtful friend you are to encourage her to try something new. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
My first response was...Wow! I love everything about this fabric collage. I think the background fabric is perfect to allow the colors to shine. If you used a tutorial for how you went about making this collage, I would be interested in having out guild try it out in a workshop...we can meet in a gym where we are 20 feet apart. Thanks and tell your friend she is very talented.
I think this would be a great workshop idea for a guild. I did follow Emily Taylor's tutorials found at https://collagequilter.com/ She explains the process, discusses color theory, shares two different techniques (we used Steam A Seam 2 LITE vs glue) and gives you a list of supplies that set you up to have lots of fun with fabric! I think it's very helpful to have an easel or design wall so that you can step back and evaluate your progress. Emily Taylor also hosts two facebook groups - Collage Quilter and Collage Quilter Academy that are helpful to view.

There's another well known collage quilt artist - Susan Carlson - who has written books and offers tutorials on her website. Search here on the QB and you'll find another post that is a mini tutorial referencing Susan Carlson's process.

Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2021, 04:04 AM

What I learned about Collage - Tutorial

Here's a link to Watson's previous post/tutorial on collage quilting
Old 01-07-2021, 05:19 AM

Fabulous work! You created a spark for someone. How fun!
Old 01-07-2021, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Christine, that is just gorgeous! Wow, that person has talent and you were nice enough to tap into it for her. You're a good friend
Old 01-07-2021, 06:48 AM

What a fun idea! And the quilt is so pretty