Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Criss Cross Coasters

Banned
    I was just going thru some of the little gifts I have been making and putting aside for when I need something..I made these little criss cross coasters from a tutorial I found on line
    http://www.allsorts.typepad.com/alls...ross_coas.html

they are so fast and easy and good way to use up small pieces of fabrics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are really nice.

Blog Entries
    Love that pattern and how clever to have them made up as extras :mrgreen:

Those are so cute. Thankyou for sharing the link!

These are cute and come in handy for gifts, On our bus trip to Mary Jo's a few years back I made 45 sets of these for our members, thanks for posting the link so others can start making a few sets for the holidays. Denise

Hmmm, ok, I'm not sure if I'm being dimwitted or what, but I don't know if I get how this pattern works. When you turn it out "like a sock", does that make it so you can't see the 2 unfolded squares you started with?

And how do you get them to look like x's instead of 4 patches? I'm just a newbie.

Those are fun to make. I was given the pattern plus the fabrics (precut) and batting to make a set of these and have been making them ever since. I made some on my last quilting retreat and left them for the retreat center to use. I also showed several of the ladies there how to make them. They make great thank you, thinking of you, welcome, or just about any other thing you can think of that you need a small gift for. They can also be made by folding the fabric in half from side to side and then they look like a four patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheriefaye2008
    Hmmm, ok, I'm not sure if I'm being dimwitted or what, but I don't know if I get how this pattern works. When you turn it out "like a sock", does that make it so you can't see the 2 unfolded squares you started with?

And how do you get them to look like x's instead of 4 patches? I'm just a newbie.
    Fold them on the diagonal. I use a piece of Warm and Natural batting or a piece of craft felt. On top of that I lay one square of fabric face up. Then weave the folded (and pressed) pieces on top of that and pin them in place. Then I sew about 3/8" inside the edge, trim the corners and flip the folds over the batting. I also then use a little 1/4"x 1 1/2-2" piece of fusing just under the edge after I flip them to hold the folds in place. It keeps the centers right next to each other.

I make something like these but I use circles and then you can put a stemmed glass right inside of them and it stays right with your glass.

Blog Entries
    And, how do you "turn them out" if you don't leave an opening? The instructions said to sew all the way around? I'm confused.

So either way you do it, you can't see the batting or bottom square then? If it works the way I am thinking you would turn the folded pieces to cover the stitched edge, and they would meet in the center of the back?. Sorry I'm so slow about this. In my head I see turning these like I roll a pair of socks together. LOL.

So glad I am not the only one Grandmama Pat. I have some cheap fabric I absolutely hate- I might just have to try it out. If I can wrap my head around it, I'll use my "nice" fabric to make Christmas gifts for mailing to friends.

Blog Entries
    Let me know how it works. I just can't get it straight in my head, yet.

I will let you know later this evening. This idea is just driving me crazy.

If you look under the tutorials, I just wrote one for a simple otholder. This is the same principle but you wouldn't use the insulate batting just a thin batting.

Banned
    I used a soft clear plastic square inside mine to keep moisture from going thru and no batting..
    Once you take the pieces and start to do it you will see how....they are really easy...and I think adding a little ribbon and some sort of embellishment adds a nice touch

Blog Entries
    Those are really nice Sue and a quick gift idea...Thanks for sharing!

Oh, I need to make some of these. Thanks for sharing, they are beautiful!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylynne
    Oh, I need to make some of these. Thanks for sharing, they are beautiful!!
    I hope many of you make them and then post pictures...always fun to see other peoples work

Ok, Made one with squares I already had cut and a scrap of cotton batting. Very easy, even for a newbie. It sounded and looked harder than it actually was. I'm already looking through my Christmas fat quarters to make more!! This one is my experiment to see if I could figure it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Wow Cherie thats great!!

These are cute. I wasn't sure how to turn them either until I went to the web link you attached. This is the simplest technique I've ever seen. Thanks for the link!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link...those are super little gifts!

Ok, Made one with squares I already had cut and a scrap of cotton batting. Very easy, even for a newbie. It sounded and looked harder than it actually was. I'm already looking through my Christmas fat quarters to make more!! This one is my experiment to see if I could figure it out.
    That looks perfect! And no one will guess how easy it was!

Thank you stichinluvr!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast