Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Cupcake quilt in the making >

Cupcake quilt in the making

Cupcake quilt in the making

Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by calla
Elennor Burns has a great technique, she used it with Grandmother's Garden Quilt: Trace patterns on fusible interfacing, light to med. The patterns are traced on smooth side, the dotted side is the fusible side. Begin by placing dotted fusible side against the right side of fabric. Cut fabric the same size as the interfacing. Pin in center of each pattern piece.......DO NOT PRESS..........Using a straight stitch on sewing machine and using a tight stitch, sew on inside edge of lines. When stitching is complete, trim...........to turn pieces carefully cut a small slit through the fusible interfacing only. Turn the piece and crease fabric deges with a wooden pressing stich, NOT THE IRON IN THIS STEP.............if batting is desired insert use cotton batting as poly will melt........you batting has to be cut the shape of your piece. (I avoided this step when I did hearts, and I liked it) now your piece is ready for placement on your background fabric, iron in place, and do your zig-zag stitch or buttonhole what ever you have decided on. Perhaps E. Burns has more information at her site..........good luck...........calla/Sue
Wow I am taking notes! Your quilt is going to be adorable :!:
Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I used to have those problems with applique. Two things really helped me. The first was in Hamilton, Montana, while at one of my favorite small quilt shows in the world, I asked one of the quilters who had a demonstration set up what her secret was...the first, she said, was to use Steam2Seam; and the second was to stitch very slowly; and the third, to practice, practice, practice; the second was in getting the book Machine Applique for the Terrified Quilter. Her advice, plus this book, have really helped improve my applique. I frequently use the blanket stitch on my machine for this type of applique. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM

I've always used tight, satin stitch to do some applique with no problems. The key is to use a stabilizer on the back. You similarly have to add stabilizer when doing embroidery on a machine. Any time there is dense stitching involved, you need at least one layer of stabilizer, some times more than one layer. Do a sample to test it.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Oh my, now I have to have a cupcake!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I love your first quilt! It is so cute and thoughtful for your daughter's first birthday.

The thing is, you can buy the stablizer by the roll at the fabric store. That should give you enough to do your blocks. It makes such a big difference in the finished block you will see why everyone is telling you to use it.

Sometimes there are sales going on for notions that you could use that coupon to buy it. But it is important to use something. At one time I used typing paper on the back when I could not afford the other. But, it doesn't work as well, and tearing all that off is a big pill. Plus it wants to pull the stitches out of place.

Go an check it out. There are all types even some that are water soluable. (Did I spell that right? I am not awake yet! LOL!)

Oh by the way ... Welcome to the board! I see you just joined today.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:41 AM

For appliques I usually trace the pattern on the back side of pattern on heat & bond light weight on the paper side. Then iron to the wrong side of fabric. Cut out. Then remove paper and iron in place. Then I use the blanket stitch and make it small stitches. This way you are outlining the piece and just taking little nips of the edge of the fabric. I use thread to match the background of the fabric being used. This is really cute.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I just love that quilt, but again, i'm p[artial to brightsd. i wish it was for me!!!!!!
show us a finshed pic please
Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Those cupcakes are gonna be cute! :)
Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM

very cute
Old 09-22-2010, 09:39 AM

I am glad you started this thread there are some great suggestions here and I needed them too! Your quilt is going to be adorable!