Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Customer's order

  1. #1
    Senior Member gellybean402's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    822
    I just finished this cute diaper bag for a customer. It is actually a modified bow tuck which I added a zippered pocket on the back and made it alot bigger. The fabric is Bugaboo which I bought a JoAnns.

    I am thinking about selling these and wondered if you all thought $60 would be too much to ask. it is 17" wide x 14" long x 5" deep. Handles are 10" tall.
    Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images



  2. #2
    Super Member ThayerRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Frederick, OK
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by gellybean402
    ... I am thinking about selling these and wondered if you all thought $60 would be too much to ask. it is 17" wide x 14" long x 5" deep. Handles are 10" tall...
    Good looking bag! Lots of features, and it looks well done. I wouldn’t go anything less than $60 for it.

    We sell patterns in our little fabric shop. Bear (my wife) made samples of some shopping bags (not diaper bags, but close to the same size) using TOL fabrics to give the “crafters” an example of what can be made from today’s fabrics, and hung them up in the shop as “samples”. Many, many customers just LOVED THEM when they were shown as samples and wanted to know how much they were (at that time, they were un-priced store samples). Finally, after all of the rave reviews, she calculated the time and materials to make them, and put a price of $75 on them. Boy! Did the rave reviews come to a screeching halt! Not a problem, but if they want it made for them by Bear, that’s what it will cost.

    Folks that don’t make handmade items generally don’t have a clue what it takes to make one. If they do, they’re probably here on the Quilting Board and know what it takes to make something like your bag.

    CD in Oklahoma

  3. #3
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,478
    Cute

  4. #4
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,682
    Very pretty fabric. I don't know anything about the price. If you want to make a little extra money they will have to be cheap enough for peple to pay it.

  5. #5
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    It's beautiful!!! I've been making them too. I charge $50 for mine. If I make them 20" or bigger or monogram them, I charge $60.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    996
    Where I live $75.00 seems good.

  7. #7
    Senior Member wvhill22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    661
    Blog Entries
    9
    what would you charge for the small bow tuck. I was thinking 40

  8. #8
    Senior Member wvhill22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    661
    Blog Entries
    9
    what would you charge for the small bow tuck. I was thinking 40

  9. #9
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    27,174
    Great bag! Nice work!

  10. #10
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,128
    Blog Entries
    3
    Beautiful bag!

  11. #11
    Power Poster debcavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spring Green,WI
    Posts
    14,630
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags
    Quote Originally Posted by gellybean402
    ... I am thinking about selling these and wondered if you all thought $60 would be too much to ask. it is 17" wide x 14" long x 5" deep. Handles are 10" tall...
    Good looking bag! Lots of features, and it looks well done. I wouldn’t go anything less than $60 for it.

    We sell patterns in our little fabric shop. Bear (my wife) made samples of some shopping bags (not diaper bags, but close to the same size) using TOL fabrics to give the “crafters” an example of what can be made from today’s fabrics, and hung them up in the shop as “samples”. Many, many customers just LOVED THEM when they were shown as samples and wanted to know how much they were (at that time, they were un-priced store samples). Finally, after all of the rave reviews, she calculated the time and materials to make them, and put a price of $75 on them. Boy! Did the rave reviews come to a screeching halt! Not a problem, but if they want it made for them by Bear, that’s what it will cost.

    Folks that don’t make handmade items generally don’t have a clue what it takes to make one. If they do, they’re probably here on the Quilting Board and know what it takes to make something like your bag.

    CD in Oklahoma
    I do know that if something costs over $40, people think about the purchase. I'm with CD, I wouldn't accept anything under $60. I don't work for $.50 an hour. Neither should you.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fultondale, Al.
    Posts
    5,368
    Cute.

  13. #13
    Super Member natalieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,436
    That fabric is adorable! I made one of my great-nieces a dress with the exact same two pieces.

    Quote Originally Posted by gellybean402
    I just finished this cute diaper bag for a customer. It is actually a modified bow tuck which I added a zippered pocket on the back and made it alot bigger. The fabric is Bugaboo which I bought a JoAnns.

    I am thinking about selling these and wondered if you all thought $60 would be too much to ask. it is 17" wide x 14" long x 5" deep. Handles are 10" tall.
    Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    Super Member Dolphyngyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,784
    I think it depends on your area and demographic, some people would not pay that much and others are willing. I do agree that people have no clue how much goes into a handmade item. Lovely purse by the way. Maybe take one with you and ask people what they would be willing to pay

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mabank, Texas
    Posts
    8,311
    Beautiful bag. Love the fabric. I would do some research and price them in the same price range as others of the same quality are selling for in your area. You need to charge enough so that you can recover the cost of materials and your labor. Good luck in your sells.

  16. #16
    Junior Member constantly55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Posts
    214
    I wouldn't sell them for less than $60. If you go to Etsy, maybe you could see something like that and what they are selling them for.

  17. #17
    Super Member Battle Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northeastern Indiana
    Posts
    1,187
    Blog Entries
    1
    You can put them on Ebay or Etsy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.