Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Cut work Maltese Quilt >

Cut work Maltese Quilt

Cut work Maltese Quilt

Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 PM

It is a lovely tribute to a family member Maltese are so loyal and loveable. My heart goes out to you
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

Adorable work
Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 AM

Thank you...they are definitely the dog of my heart. I will miss her forever. I have to change my avatar, but just haven't been able to bring myself to do so. My husband was duly warned, as long as I'm able to care for one, there will always be a maltese in my life, therefore I have a new baby in the house. She's a year old, which is very different for me as I've always had puppies, but she's a little clown and keeping me busy as well as being the best ever playmate for Bayleigh (the yorkie). Bayleigh needed her little white fluff as much as I did. Meet Georgie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]469913[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
Your quilt is beautiful. I like the heart as is. Having a Maltese myself, I can only imagine the grief you are going through and have gone through. Only those fortunate enough to have a Maltese can understand how totally precious and sweet they are. I am so sorry for your loss.
Attached Thumbnails img_2682_comp.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 AM

My dear, you have my sympathy about your little one. To me there is no reason to take the heart out as it is a tribute to the love shared between the two of you. You quilt is absolutely beautiful, wish I could do such! As for as how to quilt it, have you looked up this kind of quilt making on the computer or on the board to view how others have quilted theirs. Yours is unique and personalized and of course you want the quilting to enhance all your work. Excellent job!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Thank you all so much for your input and sweet comments regarding both the quilt and the loss of my baby girl. I still haven't decided for sure, but I'm leaning towards removing it and incorporating it into the label as some of you have suggested. I have it hanging on my design wall and everytime I walk into the room my eyes gravitate to the heart, so I think it may be a bit distracting.

yngldy; I love your idea"In loving memory of ..." or something like "Dogs leave their paw print on our hearts. Made in loving memory of ...", etc. (All of a sudden, I miss my baby. Funny how they can become a part of you) I know, I think we'll miss them always, but it was worth every tear for the years we got to spend with them.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 AM

Thank you so much! I'm actually thinking of quilting an orange peall grid pattern in the background lining up with the outer blocks and quilting a heart in (maybe a little trapunto?) instead of the pink fabric. I'm just not sure whether to extend it into the outer blocks or do individual designs in them...decisions, decisions...

Originally Posted by quiltinglady View Post
My dear, you have my sympathy about your little one. To me there is no reason to take the heart out as it is a tribute to the love shared between the two of you. You quilt is absolutely beautiful, wish I could do such! As for as how to quilt it, have you looked up this kind of quilt making on the computer or on the board to view how others have quilted theirs. Yours is unique and personalized and of course you want the quilting to enhance all your work. Excellent job!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:10 AM

nicely done! I'd drop the heart and make the bow red.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Awe how cute. What a great memorial.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Can't have 4 legged friends due to allergies, but I sure would take one of these. You mad a FANTASTIC work of art!!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:51 AM

I just saw this thread! What a great job you did on your beautiful little friend. I am so sorry for your loss.

I am glad that the technique worked for you, and I love doing this technique as condolence quilts too.

Personally, I like the heart on the front, since it is in red, it really pulls together the corner blocks (which BTW the border is fantastic!). I liked the suggestion of makeing the hair bow red too.