Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Denman Island >

Denman Island

Denman Island

Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 PM

Beautiful quilts! I hope lots of newbies see your post as most think paperpiecing is tooooo hard to try. It's NOT & your lovely quilts are proof of that!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:13 AM

WoW that is a good looking quilt. I did paper piecing once for a baby quilt, but didn't come out very good. After seeing your quilt, I want to try again after we finish moving. I still consider myself a newbie even though its been almost 2 yrs since I started, but only 3 completed projects. Have fun and be safe on your traveling... :)
Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 AM

Location: Living the dream. Part of the year in the east and part of the year in the west

Thank you.
The paper piecing was the only way for me to learn to quilt without being totally intimidated. My first block was a log cabin block that I found on aboutquilting.com--the instructions were step by step and easy to follow. I also borrowed a paperpiecing beginners book from the Denman Island Quilters that took me through it step by step again--By Carol Doak I love the accuracy that the paperpiecing allows. Every seam and every point are pretty accurate.

try again its fun!!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean about being intimidated... my very first quilt was a kit from Joann.com which I am still working on - just the quilting now. But I really don't think I like piecing the quilt together. I do love applique and hand quilting... As soon as I finish my 3 WIP's I want to do Hawian (spelling?) applique or wholecloth quilting plus now I want to try paper piecing again thanks to you for showing your quilts.

That's what I love about this place, everyone here gives me inspiration and makes me feel better about my quilting experience... :)

Now, that I have talked so much, I need to get back to work... :)
Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 PM

The Compass on Point is stunning! Thanks for sharing
Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Location: Living the dream. Part of the year in the east and part of the year in the west

Thank you!!
I have now cut out my 6th and 7th quilt tops as Iam off to a retreat in March. Likely I'll start before then as they are calling for rain the next three days!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 AM

They are beautiful but paper piecing scares the crap out of me :lol: I have read the threads here and I keep thinking I can do this... However for some reason my brain just does not wrap around the process :(
Old 02-27-2008, 08:29 AM

Please don't let paper piecing scare you I was a totally new quilter when I did these quilts with paper piecing. My first lesson was a log cabin square which I did following the instructions on about.com and with the help of one Carol Doak's paper piecing books that I borrowed from the Guild here on the island. I am now working on quilt number 6 and they have all been paper pieced. I am learning different things as I go. The last quilt Eloise's flower garden I left all the paper on while I stitche all the blocks together. It was more difficult to put throught the machine as the quilt got bigger but it retained its shape much better than my previous quilt tops. The one I am working on now I found in an old patchwork book and adapted it to paper piecing. It is called Indian Hatchet--very easy to adapt. Best wishes and do try your hand at it. That all being said I am scared to try to quilt without the paper!!!But I will with all my squares and rectangles of scraps!!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:46 PM

That is a very unique quilt!! Stunning!!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:06 PM
bj

WOW! I was expecting a photo of an island. Your quilts are just beautiful! And way more fun to look at. Good luck with your travels. When we retired I tried to talk hubby into a couple of years of traveling. I think he was a little frightened to be cooped up in small spaces with just me and the dog to keep him company :) Or maybe it was his arthritis. Long rides make him so stiff he can't walk very well for a day or so!