Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Foor????

Blog Entries

Design Foor????

I don't have a design wall. I have been using my floor for laying my pieces out. Who else besides me works on their floor?
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

The floor - I figure it is good exercise as long as I don't have to crawl on my knees I'm good! To sandwich I use my bar counter top or the tables in the church fellowship hall or one of our rec centers. Love your flag quilt!

Blog Entries
    Right there with you. I do plan on putting up a rod above my sliding doors in the bedroom so that I can have a one. The floor works great for now, just a little hard on the knees
    Helen T.

I use my bed, don't like getting up and down on the floor.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I am with you on this and thank you for sharing.
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

I do that sometimes, mainly because my design wall doesn't stick well!
    I usually take a photo and view it on my computer to get a better feel of overall composiition. With a design "floor" it is harder to take pictures, if you know what I mean.

I use my living room floor as that room is never used and the dogs aren't allowed in there. I think i might have to find another place to lay out my quilts as I'm really getting too old to crawl around on the floor.

so WOW i guess im the oddball that uses their wall! hubby put up 2 sheets of styrofoam boards, cut one in half, so it's 8x8. duct taped them together in the back, put an old sheet on the front, sort of taped it on the back, and screwed it to the wall. i can put different sheets on the front when one gets dusty by just pinning along the top and the side. and it keeps my back from the floor. yes, my maiden name is murphy, i guess im bassackwards in everything! have a beautiful day ladies!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

can not get down on the floor, but do use my queen bed. Even then My back kills me . but what can I say the Quilts call. joyce j

My sewing room is also my guest bedroom so I use the bed.

I do! I have no open wall space big enough so I use the floor in the spare bedroom.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

I use my bed, my kid spills to much stuff for me to use my floor

I can't get onto the floor, and if I could, I probably wouldn't be able to get back up! lol

So, I use our king size bed to sandwich the layers, with a 2' wide by 4' long folding table at the foot. I lay everything out on the bed, then slide it up onto the table, with the legs of the table set up on bed raisers to a workable height. It sure makes life easier, and saves back aches! I layer, pin, then flip the whole thing over to make sure it's all smooth on the back side, doing adjustments where needed. It's probably not the best way to do this, but it's what I have available.

I also just discovered a 2 1/2' x 4' hanging cork board in the garage and have confiscated it! haha DH said he wasn't using it, so it is about to get covered with felt and hung on the wall behind my ironing board where I can easily access it for a design wall.

I guess we all just have to make do with what we're lucky enough to have and call it good. Sometimes I get frustrated with what I DON'T have because we've downsized since retiring, (several times!) and are now in a 1200 sq ft one story condo. I miss all my space, but have figured it out here and it works ok. As long as I can keep sewing and have a place to do it I'm happy...how much space, my own room, etc, just isn't important.
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

I used the floor in the other house I lived in. And it actually worked out well for me - I was trying to decide on an arrangement of blocks, and kept playing with them and moving them around. One day I found my black lab, Annie, laying in the middle of the blocks! I decided it was a sign that I should sew the blocks together in that arrangement, and I named the quilt "Annie's Star". That quilt went on to be on the cover of Amer. Patchwork & Quilting about 10 years ago - thanks, Annie!!!

I still use the floor from time to time, but I now also have a design wall - much easier on these old joints!

Andi

design floor

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    My sewing room is also my guest bedroom so I use the bed.
    I use a Dollar General table cover and pin it to the wall so the flannel is on the outside. I also made a small one with the same material with a piece of cardboard and keep it at the machine to put the pieces on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I use my bed, don't like getting up and down on the floor.
    same here-bad knees
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
    I used the floor in the other house I lived in. And it actually worked out well for me - I was trying to decide on an arrangement of blocks, and kept playing with them and moving them around. One day I found my black lab, Annie, laying in the middle of the blocks! I decided it was a sign that I should sew the blocks together in that arrangement, and I named the quilt "Annie's Star". That quilt went on to be on the cover of Amer. Patchwork & Quilting about 10 years ago - thanks, Annie!!!

I still use the floor from time to time, but I now also have a design wall - much easier on these old joints!

Andi
    Amazing Story!!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

I use the floor. I just hung one quilt up in my quilting room and plan to put one on each of the other two walls so I prefer not to use the wall to audition squares. (fourth wall is mainly windows). Floor works just fine.

Yo, right here, I use my floor more than my wall.

I use the floor occasionally. Just 2 problems: 1) My back and knees don't bend so well, and 2) 3 fleabags that insist on helping.

LOL! i have a design floor also! I just wish i had more space

Well, I use a 4' x 8'of the sealed pink foam insulation for my design wall, purchased at Home Depot for under $14.00 and it's 3/4"-7/8" thick. Put some grey( good neutral color) low loft fleece on it.....pinned and taped onto the backside. Works great and the blocks and tops stick to it really well. Easy to maneuver if need be and it's behind the french door to my sewing room. When the door is open (no a/c on) I can still see what's there. If I need to move it....light weight and easy to move around.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

The floor, bed whatever holds the project. Years ago when I was a volunteer firefighter, I would push tables together and get the guys with long arms to help me.

i have two full size sheets of white foam board i bought at office max. bought flannel sheet set on clearence at kohls, hot glued around the edge on the back and put on the wall. works wonderful and was less than $20 and my blocks stick perfectly.

The floor works great for me, but I have to remember to close the bedroom door because my kitties love to romp through the blocks.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast