Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: DH Grandma's quilt

  1. #1
    Super Member beatys9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,552

    DH Grandma's quilt

    When my husband & each of his cousins got married, his Grandmother in Alpine, Tn made them each a quilt for their weddings - about 15 of them I believe. As I was the 2nd wife, she told me appologetically, there would not be another quilt as her sight no longer allowed her the fine work by that time. No problem - I got the quilt from his first union, pictured below. All of Grandma Chloe's quilts are hand pieced and quilted. I don't even know that she owned a machine - I remember her sewing area & fabric in the attic but I don't remember a machine. Before her passing about 10 years ago, I got to spend time with her on several visits where she taught me to hook a rug from fabric, cook with lard (we don't really use that in Hawaii), about lightning bugs, see a calf born, and other wonderful memories from the Southern family...Our daughter is named for Grandma Chloe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Shannon

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    428
    The quilt is beautiful. Grandma Chloe sounds like a very interesting person.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    472
    very nice. love the colors.
    LC

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,012
    Very pretty!

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,116
    Very pretty!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    So.Ea. IN.
    Posts
    271
    What a wonderful story and a beautiful quilt.

  7. #7
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,342
    You have so many wonderful memories. Her quilt is beautiful.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  8. #8
    Super Member burchquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Holmen, WI
    Posts
    6,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    You have so many wonderful memories. Her quilt is beautiful.
    It sounds like you had some very special times with a really special woman. And her quilt is just fabulous! Is that the "Cracker" pattern? I love it! And all by hand!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

  9. #9
    Super Member KSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    1,626
    Beautiful quilt. And I love the name Chloe.

  10. #10
    Power Poster Diane007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    12,415
    Blog Entries
    1
    Very nice quilt....

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    683
    What a wonderful woman!
    Heather
    In Queensland, Australia

  12. #12
    Super Member beatys9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,552
    I did Rebecca, but I don't know the name of the pattern. Anyone out there know?

    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    It sounds like you had some very special times with a really special woman. And her quilt is just fabulous! Is that the "Cracker" pattern? I love it! And all by hand!
    Shannon

  13. #13
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,104
    Blog Entries
    3
    I enjoyed your story so much! Beautiful quilt and lots of great memories!
    Helen T.

  14. #14
    Super Member grammysharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Monmouth, Oregon
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    1
    What a family treasure!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by beatys9 View Post
    When my husband & each of his cousins got married, his Grandmother in Alpine, Tn made them each a quilt for their weddings - about 15 of them I believe. As I was the 2nd wife, she told me appologetically, there would not be another quilt as her sight no longer allowed her the fine work by that time. No problem - I got the quilt from his first union, pictured below. All of Grandma Chloe's quilts are hand pieced and quilted. I don't even know that she owned a machine - I remember her sewing area & fabric in the attic but I don't remember a machine. Before her passing about 10 years ago, I got to spend time with her on several visits where she taught me to hook a rug from fabric, cook with lard (we don't really use that in Hawaii), about lightning bugs, see a calf born, and other wonderful memories from the Southern family...Our daughter is named for Grandma Chloe.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

  15. #15
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VIRGINIA
    Posts
    22,678
    Very pretty nice story!!
    QUILTNMO

  16. #16
    Power Poster debcavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spring Green,WI
    Posts
    14,628
    How lovely of you to name your daughter is Chloe after her. What an honor
    DEB CAVAN

  17. #17
    Super Member Blinkokr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Deltona, Florida
    Posts
    7,091
    Just beautiful and thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,029
    Great story and a beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing.

  19. #19
    Super Member GramaLaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Georgetown TX
    Posts
    4,379
    What wonderful memories you have to go along with the awesome quilt!! Keep the memories alive with YOUR quilt
    Grama Laura

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Garland, Texas
    Posts
    1,389
    I am so glad you were able to spend time with your DH's grandma. She sounds like a wonderful and interesting person. I love that you now have the quilt she made your DH, it is beautiful and a treasured keepsake for your family.

  21. #21
    Super Member Taughtby Grandma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    6,765
    Great treasure you have as well as the wonderful time and memories you were able to share with her.
    Jeanie

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,344
    Love the design of the quilt. It is beautiful.

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,316
    Beautiful quilt. Bright, cheerful colors and great pattern.

  24. #24
    Super Member Pickles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,448
    Just Beautiful she sounded like the Grandmother that everyone would have loved to had. :}
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

  25. #25
    Super Member luvstoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Yorkville, IL
    Posts
    4,654
    Blog Entries
    3
    What a nice quilt and how much fun you must have had with her. I bet she really loved you and enjoyed each thing she taught you. What lovely memories and how precious you named your daughter after her. Fabulous love story...thanks for sharing.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

    Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.