Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Diagnoal seams project (stars)

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    113
    So I started just trying to learn the diagonal seams method to make these stars. I figured by the time I had enough stars to make this, I'd be better at making the stars but... didn't quite work out that way. I don't know why I have such a hard time with it.
    But there it is. The points on the stars are cut off because my star blocks would come out so wonky that I'd have to square them beyond the seam allowance.
    But once I got to matching up the seams for the blocks and rows I feel better about my work.

    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member Dawn Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wilson, NC
    Posts
    1,661
    Well I think it looks GREAT...

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow--looks like you figured it out beautifully to me!! :D

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
    Well I think it looks GREAT...
    lol, thanks. I'm so hypercritical of my work. I'm just starting out and learning but still... I could make something darn near perfect and whine about a little flaw. But it's about having fun right?
    One thing I have to say is that all of you on this board are so positive and supportive of other quilters and their work. That's very cool.

  5. #5
    community benefactor Knot Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,723
    I think they look great, I don't see cut off points... :D It will be a lovely quilt

  6. #6
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,167
    Blog Entries
    3
    personally, i've never been close enough to a real star to find out whether or not they actually have pointy points. :wink:

  7. #7
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    personally, i've never been close enough to a real star to find out whether or not they actually have pointy points. :wink:

    Me either -- yours looks beautiful!!

  8. #8
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    So what if a few points are cut off??? You can camoflague it with your wonderful quilting...AND...its your quilt, right?! I had to look hard to find them. Once finished, no one will EVER notice anything but a beautiful quilt! Good job! :lol:

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    922
    It's a beauty, great colors :D

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,403
    Looks good to me.

  11. #11
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    Looks great. Many of my star points aren't "perfect" either, is anyone's?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    113
    :lol: I'm drinking my wine and it all looks better to me now.
    Seriously, you guys are great with your encouraging words.

  13. #13
    Super Member beachlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,753
    I think it looks great.

  14. #14
    Super Member sewsewquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    2,170
    Looks very nice to me. Your stars like great.

  15. #15
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    Looks good to me!
    We are our own worst critics!

  16. #16
    Super Member gcathie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Ohio
    Posts
    3,270
    nice job

  17. #17
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    if you hadn't told us, we probably wouldn't know. don't tell anyone else. they look great.

  18. #18
    Super Member Quilt4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Merrimac, MA
    Posts
    9,035
    Blog Entries
    1
    Great job. As fro real stras , they are just a big ball of fire.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    if you hadn't told us, we probably wouldn't know. don't tell anyone else. they look great.
    :lol: I won't tell. I just put a double boarder on it last night. I think it looks good. Haven't taken a picture of it. It'll probably be yet another one of those tops that get folded and put away. I don't have any batting right now. :?

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    113
    I think it looks better with the border. Anyone ever make quilts with no borders? Sometimes I think that way looks good too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    Senior Member kapatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    820
    Blog Entries
    1
    It looks nice. I can't see that the points are off that much. Congratulations!!!!!

    I'm working on the same block but my alternate block is an Irish Chain. You may have had problems with your flying geese blocks because when we do it the standard way, we are cutting on the bias. It stretches when we do that.

    Eleanor Burns came up with a different way to do it and I've been using her method for most of my blocks. First I tried doing it by Fons and Porter's method but I became so frustrated with my blocks (I was loosing points on my star too) that I switched to Eleanor Burn's method.
    E.B.'s method wastes more material but I became so frustrated on working on the block that I was afraid if I didn't find an easier way for me, I would end up not finishing it. Not all of my points are on but most of them are.

    If you ever want to do this pattern again, there are several different ways to do flying geese. Here are a few of the ones I've found on the net.

    I've never tried this first one but it looks interesting. It is a 1 seam flying geese block.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfksrQqN2nM

    Eleanor Burns way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id3WjzE36NI

    also there is this one..
    http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html


  22. #22
    Senior Member kapatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    820
    Blog Entries
    1
    That looks nice. The border goes great with the blocks.

  23. #23
    Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,540
    I think it looks good. You are being too hard on yourself.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by kapatt
    It looks nice. I can't see that the points are off that much. Congratulations!!!!!

    I'm working on the same block but my alternate block is an Irish Chain. You may have had problems with your flying geese blocks because when we do it the standard way, we are cutting on the bias. It stretches when we do that.

    Eleanor Burns came up with a different way to do it and I've been using her method for most of my blocks. First I tried doing it by Fons and Porter's method but I became so frustrated with my blocks (I was loosing points on my star too) that I switched to Eleanor Burn's method.
    E.B.'s method wastes more material but I became so frustrated on working on the block that I was afraid if I didn't find an easier way for me, I would end up not finishing it. Not all of my points are on but most of them are.

    If you ever want to do this pattern again, there are several different ways to do flying geese. Here are a few of the ones I've found on the net.

    I've never tried this first one but it looks interesting. It is a 1 seam flying geese block.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfksrQqN2nM

    Eleanor Burns way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id3WjzE36NI

    also there is this one..
    http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html
    Thanks so much for the info. Yes, the geese were giving me fits.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    i love it :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.