Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Does anyone out there know what this thingy me bopper is? >

Does anyone out there know what this thingy me bopper is?

Does anyone out there know what this thingy me bopper is?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM

Not often am I able to read 8 pages of posts, but I did with this one, hoping that the right answer would appear. But it didn't, so I will have to keep checking up on it. I don't have a clue, but sure enjoyed all the answers that were posted.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 PM

I think the silk scarf answer may be the closest if you notice 2 balls are held together with a metal Thingamajigger that slides up and down to hold something between the 2 balls.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:06 PM

Maybe it's a necktie hanger, or scarves
Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
Silk scarf hanger. Note how smooth the two white balls are, no snagging or tearing the silk. There's a tension between the balls, holding the rolled edge of the silk in place. You can hang a dozen or more in a small space; no folds. The uppermost open ring hangs alongside your coat hangers in your closet. (just a factoid from my Manhattan days; where some apartments had the shower in the kitchen over the floor drain and the toilet in the closet. For real. ;0)
Wow!!!this is good to know!!! And after reading what you wrote I looked at it again and the scarves would hang very nicely on there. Cudo's to you for letting us all know what it was. No everyone I really didn't know what this was at all.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
My guess would be some sort of fastener to use when you are braiding or tying or doing lacework of some sort. The metal hook goes around something to hold it in place and the pin/ball things hold the beginnings of your work/strings/threads/cords and you work out from there.

Just a guess. Really have no idea.
Just a thought to add to this comment, Macreme ? maybe.
Sounds good and it looks as though I could use it for tath when I did macrame way back when, Hook on anything and the cords could hang down so you could start your knots. Maybe fisheren used it to do the knots for lobster pots, although I never seen a fishermen use this for his knots :-)
Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 PM

i'm agreeing with the silk scarf holder--or a relic from the days of nylon hosiery: same deal. wash the nylons, hang one in each little pinchy thing to dry.

?????????????

dunno.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 PM

My grandmother had something like this but it had mothballs at the end for closet protection. Yours looks more like plastic so can't help you.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM

I think it is a ceremonial good luck quilter's charm! You shake it and chant before you start cutting your favorite fabrics! (If the answer is already out there - sorry, I didn't read all the way to the end of people's ideas.)
Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
I think it is a ceremonial good luck quilter's charm! You shake it and chant before you start cutting your favorite fabrics! (If the answer is already out there - sorry, I didn't read all the way to the end of people's ideas.)
That's got to be it!!! ;)
Old 07-22-2011, 04:43 AM

What type of material are the litte balls? I am wondering if a hanging pattern piece holder.
Very interesting!