Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Embarrassing Bias Quilt >

Embarrassing Bias Quilt

Embarrassing Bias Quilt

Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 PM

I'm confused....please don't tell me someone at JoAnn's made a negative remark about your work!!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I think it turned out great. Ignore the quilting police at Joanns.....you did good. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

well it turned out just great. I didn't know you were not supposed to cut these strips on grain...thanks for that!!!! :thumbup:

ok! Just read how many cut on grain...I think I like that better.
It's a beautiful quilt no matter what that lady said!
Old 08-29-2010, 01:23 PM

As I have told a friend of mine who is just learning to sew, each quilter has to find the method that works for her and follow her heart. If she loves the fabrics and designs, there are NO mistakes. Each person has their own techniques that allow them to do their best work. What works for someone else may not work for you. Don't listen to those who profess to KNOW MORE, do what you like and do it in the way that works for you. Your work is beautiful, be proud of what you have accompolished and remember, be true to yourself. Love what you do and don't let anyone else steal your joy of doing such pretty work. Who made them the expert?
Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM

OK, My quilt, that looks so much like yours, I am so proud of, is entered into the 8th largest fair in the world, the Western Washington Fair in Puyallup, WA. The entry people just LOVED the quilt. Never think you did something WRONG! In the next quilt magazine issue...it may be the latest trend.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:02 PM

There are 2 "straight grains" on fabrics if you want to get technical.. horizontal or vertical. You either cut "on the grain" or "on the bias". length ways or cross ways doesn't really make a hill of beans.. I cut which ever way I bloody well please and will DARE her to tell me I'm wrong!! And I'm guessing she wouldn't have had a freaking clue if you hadn't told her. Millions of critics out of work and she thinks she's one too. you've done an awesome job!!! it's a glorious quilt and I LOVE it!! You rock!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt...it has colour, movement, character and just makes you feel happy looking at it. Never let the comments of others deter you from being creative. Now...with all the positives from us...on to your next beautiful quilt
Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
Most employees at JoAnn's and Hancock's don't know how to sew a button on much less anything about quilting....or fabric for that matter.
Isn't THAT the truth!!
I managed a chain fabric store 20 years ago, and all of us there knew different parts of sewing ( one tailoring, one toy making, one general sewing). And we also knew fabric content, and if one didn't know, another did. But, today, the ones in Joann's and Hancocks ( around here) are clueless about even cutting fabric straight. While I see many men quilting, now, we even have a young fellow fresh out of school at Joann's, who couldn't tell polyesters from penguins. And don't DARE ask for a notion by name...... he doesn't know what you are talking about.

It's about to get worse, though. Many of the schools are eliminating Home Economics and won't even be teaching kids basic sewing skills.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:27 PM

Beautiful!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 PM

I thought with a strip quilt you just used scraps and it didn't matter ...please advise if that is not true.
Thanks,
Susan

ToTo's Mom...you are too right and funny...love the "polyester to penguins" True and sad!

But I may be as uninformed if my understanding above is not true.