Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
English paper-piecing WIP - what do I do next? >

English paper-piecing WIP - what do I do next?

English paper-piecing WIP - what do I do next?

Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 AM

Hello - question for "earthwalker" -- pls explain "baste from the back not thru the papers". Sounds like something I'd like to try but I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean.

What got me started on English paper piecing was a quilt show give-away from www.paperpieces.com which sells pre-cut pieces in many sizes and shapes. They have a weekly half-price sale on one item; I purchased large diamonds and have been loving doing tumbling blocks ever since. So easy with the pieces all cut for you and such fun. Lots of pictures and highly recommended to anyone who enjoys EPP.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
What got me started on English paper piecing was a quilt show give-away from www.paperpieces.com which sells pre-cut pieces in many sizes and shapes. They have a weekly half-price sale on one item; I purchased large diamonds and have been loving doing tumbling blocks ever since. So easy with the pieces all cut for you and such fun. Lots of pictures and highly recommended to anyone who enjoys EPP.
What a wonderful website. Thanks so much for posting it. I absolutely love tumbling blocks and will have to get some of those templates to try them.

You know, this could be addictive!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
Hello - question for "earthwalker" -- pls explain "baste from the back not thru the papers". Sounds like something I'd like to try but I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean.

I got started the same way. I love their website and the give-away I got at a quilt show said it could be addictive. Boy were they right.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Power Poster

Mrs Fitz. I am not very good at explaining but here goes. I pin the fabric to the paper template, fold the fabric over, but just "catch" the corners in a big stitch, then move straight to the next corner with no stitches in between. I do not pierce the papers at any stage. As you can see from my slightly crumpled papers, this method does hold everything together during construction. I love the portability of paper piecing. I have attempted to provide photos....hope it works. Oh the completed ones still have the papers and basting in.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Power Poster

I'll just give the photo's one more shot....fingers crossed x

Front (papers and basting still in)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42361[/ATTACH]

Back view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42362[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42361.jpe   attachment-42362.jpe  
Old 08-01-2009, 05:36 AM

Earthwalker, thanks so much for the explanation and photos. I see exactly what you mean and I'm going to try your method. Maybe I should have breakfast first? But right after that.............
Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 PM

Your work looks great! I have been wanting to try epp also. I just bought a pattern for a small project that has 4 blocks. Each block uses a different piecing method and I thought this would be a good way to try the different techniques. There is an English paper pieced block, a hand appliqued block, a foundation pieced block and a strip pieced fan block. I bought some pretty oriental fabric on sale that I plan to use. This along with all the other projects on my list to do! :roll:
Old 08-03-2009, 11:37 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Hi Jan - I love your star! EPP was how I started quilting aged around 9 and I still love this method. I've got a WIP GFG that I work on now and then and have just finished a star top in Dutch chintz, waiting to be quilted. The beauty is it's so portable and I find it so soothing to do - I'm taking my GFG on hols next week and will probably do some sitting on the beach even! :D Re the papers - I leave them in until surrounded then take them out really just so everything becomes more compact for travelling. I get hex papers from an English website laser cut out of old envelopes - they're really cheap, around 3USD for a few hundred I think. Earthwalker - thanks for sharing your basting method, I'll definitely try that! :D
Old 08-04-2009, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Hi Jan - I love your star! EPP was how I started quilting aged around 9 and I still love this method. I've got a WIP GFG that I work on now and then and have just finished a star top in Dutch chintz, waiting to be quilted. The beauty is it's so portable and I find it so soothing to do - I'm taking my GFG on hols next week and will probably do some sitting on the beach even! :D Re the papers - I leave them in until surrounded then take them out really just so everything becomes more compact for travelling. I get hex papers from an English website laser cut out of old envelopes - they're really cheap, around 3USD for a few hundred I think. Earthwalker - thanks for sharing your basting method, I'll definitely try that! :D
Thanks k! Would you be able to post the name of that website? I'd be very interested in taking a look at what they have available.

Thanks!
Jan
Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 AM

This thread got my interesting going. I just couldn't comprehend it all. So, as all modern women do, I did an internet search and found a fantastic tute. Here is the link. http://sunshinescreations.vintagethr...r-piecing.html Let me know what you think of it!