Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
FABRIC IS BACK >

FABRIC IS BACK

FABRIC IS BACK

Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by merrylouw
I feel a sense of satisfaction that a corporation as huge as WalMart is listening, and responding, to their customers. This, IMHO, is what the free market system is all about, and what makes America a great country. Whether you like WalMart fabric or not, Hooray for them!
Thank you OP for the good news. & Thanks MerryLouw...we Americans like our freedom of choice in everything we do & having choices keeps prices better @ every store! I am particularly glad because I always got my notions @ WM whenever I needed them without any concern for coupons or what's on sale. I was one of the squeaky wheels about the fabric dept.; hope it will help bring it back to MY stores. So far, nothing.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Swap Hosts

That's wonderful news and thanks for your Praise outburst, LOL!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 AM

WOW, Thank you for sharing !!!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 AM

Oh happy Day!!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I looked at a lot of their fabric, esp. the better stuff like the Cranston VIP brand, and it was all made in Pakistan, even the Cranston! The closest to domestic I found was some that was marked, "printed in the USA." Big deal. They bought foreign cotton and printed it here. What has happened to all the huge fabric mills in places like Rhode Island? Textile mills were the mainstay in many New England states while I was growing up. I hate that we are importing it all now. It's not really any cheaper, either. Think of the thousands of people those mills employed.
I wish there was a company that made good fabric in the US, I would support them even if they just made cotton solids or tonal.

It's no surprise that we have so much trouble with jobs & house prices falling, it's no joke that our industries have all left us. Just drive through some towns that used to have bustling factories 10 years ago, it may really shock you. I was in my hometown in Michigan last summer & drove past 2 major auto factories that were leveled down to dirt...that had been there since the 1920's. Although one closed in 2007, there was a possibility of other Mfg. coming in, until they leveled it 2 years ago. It really hurts when suddenly all you see for a mile or more is scrub weeds & a dirt field. What's more is every 2nd or 3rd house in all the surrounding neighborhoods are vacant for miles, no for sale signs, just empty...you can see right through them. Who owns those houses now? Where did all those people go? There were 3,500 employees @ the one next to my High school. How many people displaced does that calculate out to, considering most had families (10,000)? Sorry, it just hit a nerve thinking about it again. :cry:
Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie
I have just returned from the 2011 Wal Mart Shareholders Meeting in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I went as a guest of Wal Mart for 4 days and represented my store from Oneonta, Alabama. While in the meeting on Wednesday, June 1, 2011, they were discussing some changes that were taking place in Wal Mart. As I used a walker on wheels due to my problem with walking long distances, I was placed on the ground floor of the meeting in the 8th row just down from the stage. Mr. John Aden was speaking about the fact that they were bringing back firearms to the stores. Then he said, "And, continuing with words that begin with "F", Fabric is Back". Well, without thinking, I shouted "Praise the LORD". Didn't realize my voice carried and then John said, "Did I hear a Praise the LORD"? Anyway, he said it would be full fabric that would be cut by an associate. He also said that they listened to the customers and that fabric would return to 700 stores by September. He then said that if your store had fabric, you would not lose it. I am enclosing a picture that was taken as he was speaking from the stage of this years meeting. WHOOOHOO!!!
Praise the LORD is an AMAN from this ol' Ky girl
Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Originally Posted by merrylouw
I feel a sense of satisfaction that a corporation as huge as WalMart is listening, and responding, to their customers. This, IMHO, is what the free market system is all about, and what makes America a great country. Whether you like WalMart fabric or not, Hooray for them!
...we Americans like our freedom of choice in everything we do & having choices keeps prices better @ every store!
I agree!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 AM

Appreciate the news and hope it is true for our superstore!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 AM

Yeah from Chicago-land! There are three super stores in my area hopefully one may have fabric again!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 AM

This is wonderful news. I have 2 WalMarts within 20 miles
that still have fabric depts. You can pick and choose
the quality...some bad, but most good. This will be
wonderful for the more rural areas all over the country.
I think WalMart finally has someone that will listen to
the customers...what a great thing that is.