Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric storage boards

I ran across a couple of threads here about the storage boards that everyone was raving about.

I had to have some.....problem.

I'm on a tight income....so what to do?

After a lot of searching, I found someone that would sell me a 4'x8' sheet of 4mm corrugated plastic for a steal.

I came home with it today and started doing some cutting. I only did 1/4 of the sheet and got 10 sheets out of it. I would have gotten 11 but I goofed on one.

Here are the 10 with fabric on them already.

I figure I can get 48 8"x11.75" fabric boards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great idea!! I love your fabrics, so pretty!!!

Blog Entries
    What a clever solution ! Where did you get the corrugated plastic from ?

I ask my LQS for empty cardboard boards that the fabric is on when it is on the shelves. After the fabric is sold out, I help them recycle instead of throwing them out.

What a great idea.

Great idea! Looks super. Thanks for sharing.

You can get the corrugated plastic from a place that makes signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Great idea!! I love your fabrics, so pretty!!!
    I had those fabrics picked out for Dunstar's Log Star Pattern

Yes, I found a man locally that does signs.

Just to save some more $, you can put multiple fabrics on one card. Lay them on top of one another so the outside ends are flush. Fold them onto the card, and when you get near the end, move all but the bottom fabric to the side. Fold the bottom fabric at 45 degrees until the end is even with the edge nearest you. Fold the next one at 45 degrees, but don't bring the end all the way to the edge of the fabric. Fold the next a little further until you get to the top. When you wrap the ends around the card, you'll be able to see all the fabrics on that card. We do this when the fabrics belong together for a project. You can even tuck the instructions into the fold to keep the whole project together.

Darren

Multiple fabrics on one card
    Name:  Attachment-59061.jpe
Views: 670
Size:  62.2 KB

What a great idea for keeping fabrics for a project together. Genius.

I am in the process of redoing my fabric. This is so brilliant!!! And so neat and so easy to find the fabric you are looking for. Time consuming but so worth it in the long run!!!Every so often I just gotta take a break and quilt...LOL then I am back at the wrapping again. :thumbup:

I got the idea on this site!!! I guess it was your idea to use the plastic sign material. Brilliant! ;)

Great idea for packing all the fabrics for a project together. Always a problem for me since some fabrics fit into something else and well, you know what happens!

Jois

What a great idea. I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    I am in the process of redoing my fabric. This is so brilliant!!! And so neat and so easy to find the fabric you are looking for. Time consuming but so worth it in the long run!!!Every so often I just gotta take a break and quilt...LOL then I am back at the wrapping again. :thumbup:

I got the idea on this site!!! I guess it was your idea to use the plastic sign material. Brilliant! ;)
    Actually, someone here was selling them and I asked her, so it's her idea.

Wesing, I love the idea of packing the fabrics together for a project on one board, brilliant !!!!!

Great job of organizing your fabrics!! I guess I'll have to try this!!

looks good

I have now cut up 8 corroplastic sheets into 81/2 by 12 pieces, and I love them. The idea of smaller pieces on the one board is an excellent idea. I am going to do that with the less then a yard fabric, so I can put several on one board. I will store them on oe shelf, so I can go look at what I have. GREAT idea.

I don't know about the rest of you but quilting is not my only craft. I had my material stored on wire racks but now I am re-arranging everything.

I have a bookshelf behind my sewing area that I kept my patterns and quilt books on and have now decided to put my material there. I don't have a very large stash, so it will work out perfectly.

I had originally cut the sheets to be 8" x 11 3/4", but now that I have actually measured the shelves, I can go with a larger size. I can actually fit a 14" tall sheet on 2 of the shelves.

Too bad I didn't find that out before I cut my sheet. Oh well, I'm going back for a couple more.

One question for those of you that are trying this, do you find that your material slides down the sheets, instead of staying sort of centered on them? Have any of you come up with any ideas to keep them from sliding?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaciris
    I don't know about the rest of you but quilting is not my only craft. I had my material stored on wire racks but now I am re-arranging everything.

I have a bookshelf behind my sewing area that I kept my patterns and quilt books on and have now decided to put my material there. I don't have a very large stash, so it will work out perfectly.

I had originally cut the sheets to be 8" x 11 3/4", but now that I have actually measured the shelves, I can go with a larger size. I can actually fit a 14" tall sheet on 2 of the shelves.

Too bad I didn't find that out before I cut my sheet. Oh well, I'm going back for a couple more.

One question for those of you that are trying this, do you find that your material slides down the sheets, instead of staying sort of centered on them? Have any of you come up with any ideas to keep them from sliding?
    Just put a couple of small piece of painters tape on the raw edge (dont' tape a folded edge) when you first start the wrap. If you just catch the edge in a couple places you shouldn't ruin any usable material.

Blog Entries
    I have done this also and just reallylike how it has turned out! It's my own fabric store in my sewing room and it's so pretty to look at. I had my local plastic shop cut mine (only because I wanted them now!) and he charged me .25cents a piece. It was well worth it so I picked up 96 more.

I have seen Dunster's log cabin in person! It is absolutely stunning! The OR/WA quilters get together every other month and she brought it to the gathering.

To make them tight I wrap my boards on my bed or in my hall way. The force of the bedspread or the rug helps me to keep it tighter. I also when wrapping push the board to me using my fingertips on the side that is farthest from me. Hope that makes sense. I also secure using a bolt buddy. I'm trying not to wrap anything bigger than 5 yards on my little bolts. They seem to get bulky and loose and I'm also very limited to shelf space right now.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaciris

Just put a couple of small piece of painters tape on the raw edge (dont' tape a folded edge) when you first start the wrap. If you just catch the edge in a couple places you shouldn't ruin any usable material.
    That's a great idea. Thanks

Blog Entries
    what a great idea

Blog Entries
    awesome idea thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    Just to save some more $, you can put multiple fabrics on one card. Lay them on top of one another so the outside ends are flush. Fold them onto the card, and when you get near the end, move all but the bottom fabric to the side. Fold the bottom fabric at 45 degrees until the end is even with the edge nearest you. Fold the next one at 45 degrees, but don't bring the end all the way to the edge of the fabric. Fold the next a little further until you get to the top. When you wrap the ends around the card, you'll be able to see all the fabrics on that card. We do this when the fabrics belong together for a project. You can even tuck the instructions into the fold to keep the whole project together.

Darren
    Using my best Yoda voice "How clever, you are!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast