Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fantasia's Tree of Life Panel

Fantasia's Tree of Life Panel

Well, think I have the layout to make this panel into a queen sized quilt. I pretty sure I'll fracture it using a navy blue fabric between the vertical strips, then the same navy blue fabrics for all the sashing between the rows and then the final outer border. Not quite sure about which fabrics/color for the 2 blocks I'll use but I'm getting there. Then of course when it comes down to the quilting of the flimsy I'll "quilt it to death" on the outer border and larger sashing between the blocks. Here's the panel fractured that I found online and then my rendition of the layout. I couldn't get my EQ7 program to bring up the panel as I'd like but hopefully you'll get the idea. Let me know what you think of my layout and color scheme and if you think I should change anything. My 1st layout had another row of blocks but my quilting buddy thought it a bit too busy which I also agreed so took it out.

The quilt layout looks a bit pale but I'm using fabrics that are much brighter than shown. Also the center panel on the layout doesn't show the fracturing. I'll bring it wide enough up to the 1st sashing. Also I've decided to use the same navy blue fabric used between the fractured strips for the sashing and border. Was going to use the argyll fabric but now will use it for the backing as I think I have enough. My fabrics will match up with the colors in the panel to give you the idea what the real colors will look like.

Thanks for any suggestions and opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

What a beautiful quilt! and so creative in bringing out the colors! It looks like an ambitious design and yet fun to work on. I look forward to seeing your completed quilt.

Very nice!

I love this! I have seen the panel before and was not sure what to do with it so I did not buy it. Now I wish I had.

Awesome panel.

Alway nice to see someone else's ideas and renditions. I have the panel, and ordered additional fabric, just haven't done it yet. Your's looks awesome. I never considered fracturing, but I really like that effect too!

Just came up with yet another layout as I wasn't happy with the large simple area between the two sets of blocks. Do you like this one better than the 1st one? Also, changed the sashing/border fabrics to a navy blue instead of the argyll fabric I thought I would use. Will use the argyll fabric for the backing as originally planned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Suz in Iowa

Yes 2nd layout gets my vote too!!!Beautiful!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Both are beautiful but......I prefer the second one. It sees calmer. I do love the border on the first one maybe just not on this quilt. Either border will look super. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    They are both beautiful buy I prefer the 2nd one. Not quite so busy

Wow I like number 2 also.

Great plan! Panels are always a challenge for me. Your quilt will be stunning.

I love busy and love the first one, but second is beautiful too. I made this, but just a little one. Never thought about making it into a large quilt like yours. It will be so beautiful.

The second one just seems more pleasing to the eye for some reason. Beautiful quilt and blocks BTW.

I vote for the second layout too.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Awesome quilt !

Wonderful to look at. Oh you brave soul. I'm certain it will be a remarkable piece of art when you are finished with it.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Nice tree of life.
    Carol

Yes, I agree with the 2nd one not as busy. Problem is I didn't order enough of the dark blue fabric for the borders/sashing so will need to order again. Drat it all.
    Suz in Iowa

I like the layouts and either design woukd
    look good. The Yellow dominates much more in the second one - which you may like. I personally like the fact that the colours of the panel would come out more in the first one than the second as I think the yellow might take over a bit - but hard to tell without seeing real fabric colours.

RJLinkletter, I didn't make any changes to the blocks containing the yellow fabrics, only the borders and sashings. Don't know why the yellow would look more dominate, but you could be right. Maybe a softer yellow would be better. Fabric selections are still under advisement.
    Suz in Iowa

WOW very nice! I don't usually go for panels (don't know what to do with them) but your idea is great. I just saw MSQC has that panel on sale right now for about $6 for anyone else interested in it.

This quilt will be a stunner when you have finished.

Good way to use such a panel.

I thought this panel was discontinued. I have an extra one I have no clue what I'll do with it. Just found someone that has 8.75yds of one of the fabrics that goes with this collection down in Florida. Got a deal for the fabric and will use it for the backing.
    Suz in Iowa