Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Feathered Star... version 2 >

Feathered Star... version 2

Feathered Star... version 2

Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 AM

Plain? I don't think so, Pam. It look very complicated to me but you're doing a lovely job!!!!! I can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:26 AM

I used the Marti Michell feathered star template set P. I've had the templates for many years but I never used it for the feathered star, I used parts of it for other things.

There may be a better way to do the feathers. I cut out every single triangle and sewed them together individually. It would be much easier and more efficient to sew them in squares on both sides of a center line and then cut them in two.

It wasn't too hard to make, I just had to be very careful about the 1/4" seams. I did a scant 1/4" at first but even that little bit made the row of feathers that attach to the sides of the star points a smidgen too long. I had to re-sew the seams a TINY bit to make them fit.

The way it is put together is in rows so there are no set in seams, which is a pain to do. It also uses partial seams, which go together quite nicely when you get used to it.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:54 PM

Seems like I worked on this all day but not much visual progress. I spent a lot of time going over my measurements and got most of the pieces cut for the large stars. I decided to use the material I originally got for the border as the borders between the stars. That started a whole other round of measurements, pattern placement and mitered corners.

The inner border is sewn on but still need to sew the miter (it's pinned) and the right row of small stars is sewn together. Don't know if I will be able to finish it this weekend like I wanted to.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-26620.jpe  
Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 AM

very attractive!
A goal is a good thing to have ... always something to work toward should keep you out of trouble <g> HAH!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Wow pam .... You are really going to have to enter this one in the fair this year. A blue ribbon quilt for sure with nice quilting added.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:10 AM
k3n
Power Poster

This is looking fantastic, Pam! I really hope that you're still going to do the LCs for the final border - I REALLY love that! (No pressure! :lol: )

K x
Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
I think it is a very striking quilt!
I like the way I can actually see what a pattern is, even have a chance to see the fabric you used to create the stars with. The log cabin border is a really nice finishing touch.
A quilt is a celebration of angles, color, pattern, and fabric choices. I think your quilt celebrated a lot of things in just the right balance.
omak, love what you said about quilts so much, had to 'quote'! :D

Pam, so loving this quilt...each one of yours is so yummy,...so inspires me to keep on trucking along. I have told so many ppl this, but it is really true...didn't think I would ever really 'like' feathered stars, for myself, but after seeing what you can do...and with blue and brown...girlfriend, think you could make roadkill look appetizing...now visualize that in a quilty way!!! LOL! :wink:
Old 04-06-2009, 05:49 AM

I doubt that it will be done in time for the county fair this year. it's already April and the fair is in June or July, I think? It's definately got to be hand quilted and that's going to take me months unless I don't work on anything else.

Fortunately the LCs are well on their way to being done since I took a break from the little stars and worked on them. A couple more rows should do it since they are tiny rows. I cut jelly strips in half so they are 3/4" finished strips. I'm just adding strips until they are 6 1/2" unfinished size. That will be an easy row compared to the others, I don't have to figure out the width of a border to make the previous row exactly fit the next row. They just attach to the larger stars, which are 12" finished, so it's 2 LCs per star around the edge.

I have 9 more large stars to go, need 5 per color. The right row of small stars is sewn onto the inner border and the left side is sewn together. I need 33" from seam-to-seam across between them and it seems to be lining up correctly on the pattern of the border. **whew**

Attached Thumbnails attachment-26266.jpe  
Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by Joanieu
That is awesome!!! I love seeing your work. :) I would love to learn how to do the feathered star one of these days. But like you I do not want too many UFO's. I have 3 already working on in different phases.
Only 3!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

K x
...only 3? that's what I'm screamin', lol!!!
I have 5 quilty projects, unless, you count all my stash bundles, then it's more like 50, for real...each one is for a certain person.
But haven't ever counted all my sewing wip's...almost typed ufo's...not, not using that term anymore :wink:
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
Originally Posted by omak
I think it is a very striking quilt!
I like the way I can actually see what a pattern is, even have a chance to see the fabric you used to create the stars with. The log cabin border is a really nice finishing touch.
A quilt is a celebration of angles, color, pattern, and fabric choices. I think your quilt celebrated a lot of things in just the right balance.
omak, love what you said about quilts so much, had to 'quote'! :D

Pam, so loving this quilt...each one of yours is so yummy,...so inspires me to keep on trucking along. I have told so many ppl this, but it is really true...didn't think I would ever really 'like' feathered stars, for myself, but after seeing what you can do...and with blue and brown...girlfriend, think you could make roadkill look appetizing...now visualize that in a quilty way!!! LOL! :wink:
Thanks so much for the words of wisdom. It's been a lot of work and I so appreciate the generous people here that give me encouragement to not give up when the going gets tough.