Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Finished!   FMQ Purple Bag >

Finished! FMQ Purple Bag

Finished! FMQ Purple Bag

Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 PM

Very nice. Lovely color.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 PM

Stunning !! Beautiful quilting, love the colors together. Stunning says it all !!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 AM

A question about your fabulous quilting: Is this your own feather design? Actually two questions: Do you have any tips for someone dreaming about quilting half as well as you?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:01 AM

oops...
Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by marymm
A question about your fabulous quilting: Is this your own feather design? Actually two questions: Do you have any tips for someone dreaming about quilting half as well as you?
Yes, it's my own design; I kind of make it up as I go along. And, yes I have some tips:
I LOVE Sharon Schamber's videos AND Karen McTavish's books and video. I have some of each. Find someone like them who does feathers and other FMQ you admire and try to learn from them; follow along and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Take FMQ classes at your LQS if it's practical for you; you'll pick up lots of tips with some hands-on instruction.

Get yourself a lap-sized whiteboard or some doodle pads and draw designs whenever you sit down. This helps develop the muscle memory before you even start stitching.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Make yourself a ton of practice quilt sandwiches and start stitching! When you produce something you like, put it up where you can see it and refer back to it.

And most of all, HAVE FUN with it!

Wendy
Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 AM
k3n
Power Poster

That's beautiful - was it hard to quilt the faux suede? I guess you have to get it right first go as unpicking would leave visible holes? Did you use a Jeans needle and what thread did you use? Sorry to bombard you with questions!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
That's beautiful - was it hard to quilt the faux suede? I guess you have to get it right first go as unpicking would leave visible holes? Did you use a Jeans needle and what thread did you use? Sorry to bombard you with questions!
I don't mind answering your questions at all. By the way, I really admire your work too! Your "Raspberry Ripple" was one of the first really intriguing designs I spotted on this site when I joined.

It wasn't too hard to quilt the faux suede. Since the backing on this particular material is woven and the top is kind of fuzzy (not the Ultrasuede that would likely leave holes), I don't think this would leave holes if I had to pick anything out though(I didn't). I noticed that it didn't slide nearly as easily under the foot as cotton does, so it was a little more challenging that way and I had to get used to how much pressure to use to move it. I used a fairly heavy needle, about the size of a jeans needle, and normal weight cotton thread, not the finer quilting thread I sometimes use on lighter fabrics. I don't even know what brand the thread is; I got it at a BARGAN price of 1.99 a spool for what looks to be at least 1100 yard spools at a discount/warehouse fabric outlet. I'm sure it came from a manufactuing factory and seems to be pretty high quality, and gorgeous colors!

Hope that answers your questions.

Wendy
Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 AM

Beautiful!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by azwendyg
I don't mind answering your questions at all. By the way, I really admire your work too! Your "Raspberry Ripple" was one of the first really intriguing designs I spotted on this site when I joined.

It wasn't too hard to quilt the faux suede. Since the backing on this particular material is woven and the top is kind of fuzzy (not the Ultrasuede that would likely leave holes), I don't think this would leave holes if I had to pick anything out though(I didn't). I noticed that it didn't slide nearly as easily under the foot as cotton does, so it was a little more challenging that way and I had to get used to how much pressure to use to move it. I used a fairly heavy needle, about the size of a jeans needle, and normal weight cotton thread, not the finer quilting thread I sometimes use on lighter fabrics. I don't even know what brand the thread is; I got it at a BARGAN price of 1.99 a spool for what looks to be at least 1100 yard spools at a discount/warehouse fabric outlet. I'm sure it came from a manufactuing factory and seems to be pretty high quality, and gorgeous colors!

Hope that answers your questions.

Wendy
That's brilliant Wendy, thank you and also for the compliment. I love your FMQ and also that it's done on a DSM - just had a look through your other topics and see your hero is K McT - she's one of mine too. ;-) :-D