Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: First quilt I ever made,

  1. #1
    Power Poster cutebuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    middle of a farmer field
    Posts
    14,921
    Yes so here it is, someone asked what got me started quilting, what do you do for a dh that has everything? you make him a quilt, I was working for Wally World at the time, spent my fair share helping in the fabric dept though that wasn't where I was, I have some good friends there that still work there, and in came this pattern with most of the matching fabrics, so I bit the bullet, I had been eyeing quilting for a few years, wanted to but knew I had the obsesive take it way to far type of personality so kind of left it be, until then. I had used a rotary cutter before for other things, so I knew how to use it, I had been sewing for literally years and years. I watched a show on it once, I had it covered, you will have to tell me if I was right in thinking that.
    Attached Images Attached Images



  2. #2
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    WOW ! What a GREAT job for a first quilt ! And the rest is history right ?LOL

  3. #3
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    Great job!!!

  4. #4
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    WoW :D I love those highlighted fabrics in the center!!! That's a very handsome quilt your hubby has :D :D :D

  5. #5
    Power Poster cutebuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    middle of a farmer field
    Posts
    14,921
    If anyone remembers seeing it at wally world, there was supposed to be a greenish duck pattern where the deers are, They never did get it in, so I substituted the embroidered deer in it's place, DH is a hunter but doesn't hunt duck so this worked out better anyway. And where every other moose is there was supposed to be a wolf print of the same color, yet again, they never did get it in. it all worked out in the end anyway,


    and yes, the rest is history,

  6. #6
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    That is one of the most creative uses I have seen for one of those panels.
    You have a real feel for this quilting thing, I think.

  7. #7
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    AWESOME!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    And that's your FIRST quilt!! Wow!!! You did great!

  9. #9
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    Wow!!! what a great quilt, you are something else!!

  10. #10
    Super Member Evelynquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ct.
    Posts
    4,057
    wonderful.... :lol:

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,413
    Great job!!!

  12. #12
    Super Member mimee4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    3,735
    Never would have thought to put those two fabrics together. They work perfectly and so dramatically. :D

  13. #13
    Power Poster cutebuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    middle of a farmer field
    Posts
    14,921
    It was a fun quilt to do and it turned out so good that I ended up making all three kids quilts that year for Christmas as well.

    Thank you for the compliments! and now back to our regular programing. oh, i mean quilting.

  14. #14
    Power Poster cutebuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    middle of a farmer field
    Posts
    14,921
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    That is one of the most creative uses I have seen for one of those panels.
    You have a real feel for this quilting thing, I think.
    Omak, it isn't a panel, it is all pieced, thank you t hough

  15. #15
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by cutebuns
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    That is one of the most creative uses I have seen for one of those panels.
    You have a real feel for this quilting thing, I think.
    Omak, it isn't a panel, it is all pieced, thank you t hough
    I was thinking that the pictures in each of the pieced blocks was from a panel ... I apologize!
    I thought that framing the whole thing with the fish fabric was a distinct stroke of genius.
    I would have never thought to do any of it. :?

  16. #16
    Power Poster cutebuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    middle of a farmer field
    Posts
    14,921
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Quote Originally Posted by cutebuns
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    That is one of the most creative uses I have seen for one of those panels.
    You have a real feel for this quilting thing, I think.
    Omak, it isn't a panel, it is all pieced, thank you t hough
    I was thinking that the pictures in each of the pieced blocks was from a panel ... I apologize!
    I thought that framing the whole thing with the fish fabric was a distinct stroke of genius.
    I would have never thought to do any of it. :?
    It was all fabric found at wally world, and to think that the pattern came free with it, Every so often they will get a line of fabrics in and a pattern to go with them. I had a few before the fire, and I think I saved them but Ia m not sure where I put them when I moved back in.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Posts
    1,784
    Super quilt, especially for a first attempt.
    Liz Fairlie

  18. #18
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,336
    Blog Entries
    2
    Well girl you have it going on, but what so you expect from someone with a name like cutebuns. You did a super job on this. Can't wait to see other quilts you have done. Thanks for sharing. BrendaK.
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

  19. #19
    Super Member fred singer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Grant county, WI.
    Posts
    7,569
    very lovely quilt , you did a fantastic job on your quilt.
    Pegg


    Have a great day and happy sewing !

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    western ny
    Posts
    1,573
    Very nice quilt!

  21. #21
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,764
    Love your first quilt!! And this was in '09. I'd love to see what you've done since that time. What courage it took to attempt that quilt as a first!
    One step at a time, always forward.

  22. #22
    Super Member lpsewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Reading,Pa
    Posts
    2,044
    Very nice first quilt,congrats !!!!
    lp

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    2,259
    As an animal lover with lots of materal with dogs, horses and wild animals, much of each, now I have a good idea for my first quilt. Bet your husband loves it. Great job!

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    2,259
    How big are the squares? They look like they could be 6.5", but looks can be deceiving. Just love it. With small space to work in I will be doing QAUG so always looking for ideas for my stash to make an animal quilt or 4-5. Carol

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    south central USA
    Posts
    41

    Right on!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cutebuns View Post
    Yes so here it is, someone asked what got me started quilting, what do you do for a dh that has everything? you make him a quilt, I was working for Wally World at the time, spent my fair share helping in the fabric dept though that wasn't where I was, I have some good friends there that still work there, and in came this pattern with most of the matching fabrics, so I bit the bullet, I had been eyeing quilting for a few years, wanted to but knew I had the obsesive take it way to far type of personality so kind of left it be, until then. I had used a rotary cutter before for other things, so I knew how to use it, I had been sewing for literally years and years. I watched a show on it once, I had it covered, you will have to tell me if I was right in thinking that.
    Right on!! Beautiful! Great taste in color combo. Any sportsman/woman would love this one. First timer, huh? I've been quilting many years, and I admire you for a job well done and the preservance it took to complete. Just think where you'll be heading next. Could be a part-time job, with some earnings for your effort. (Think about it.) Would love to stop and chat, but got my hands full with a quilting task that has to be finished by Dec 17th. Hope to see more of your work later. Numbers 6:24-26.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.