Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: First quilt to share - crazy quilt with butterlies and lace

First quilt to share - crazy quilt with butterlies and lace

I spend most of my time over on the Vintage Machine site - and this is the first quilt I'm sharing pictures of.

I've been sewing for over 40 years, and just started getting into quilting. This is the third one I've done on my frame, and I still need a lot of practice.

This quilt has an interesting story.

I've got a lot of vintage lace and wanted to make a quilt with it. In my mind it would be creams and whites, but as I got started it sort of took on a life of it's own and went Rose pink and teal blue. I had thought I was making it for myself, but about halfway through I knew I'd never keep it, but had no idea who it would be for.

I had planned on taking my time working on it, yet once I got started I couldn't seem to get away from it, and I had it all pieced in about two weeks and then ready to go on the quilt frame. I had a lot going on in my life and really should have just put it aside for a while, but I felt very strongly about getting it done.

My mother has been terminally ill for some time, and she's had my nephew and his wife living with her for over a year now, since right before Dad died. I live 5 hours away and had seen Mom on March 8th and talked to my siblings (I've got 9 of them) and we knew it was getting time. I guess working on the quilt helped give me something else to focus on, though I still had no idea who would get it. I figured it would be put away for some future person (maybe a DIL . . .)

Family got together on March 15 to meet with Hospice and afterwards my niece was talking to one of my sisters about the small lap quilt I had made for Mom last spring, and how much she liked it. It was like a lightbulb momment, and I knew who the quilt was for, and now I understood why I needed to get it finished quickly.

Family knew it would be less than two weeks, and I planned on going out again the next Saturday (22nd). I hadn't planned on getting the quilt done to take with, but I got in the grove on Friday afternoon, and just kept at it. It was 11:30pm when I got done, and we were on the road by 5 am.

On Friday, the nurse commented that we'd know when Mom was in her last days, and they felt that it would be another week possibly. But Saturday morning Mom didn't quite wake up, and they started calling family telling them that in would not be much longer. I was already on the road, so they did not call me to tell me it was time to come. Mom had her own ideas, and not long after, she turned her head and took her last breath.

I was still an hour out when I got the call. When I arrived, most of the family had gathered at the family home to say goodbye to Mom, and I walked it and showed them the quilt, and said it was for a very special person. Then walked over and gave it to my niece, who has so lovingly cared for Mom/Grandma so she could stay at home in peace to the end.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Power Poster
    what a great story and beautiful quilt!!!
    QUILTNMO

Very sorry for your loss, Cathy. Beautiful quilt and a beautiful story. I am sure that your niece will cherish the quilt and what it represents. God Bless you.

What a heart wrenching story. It truly brought tears to my eyes. What a blessing you made & gave to your niece. I know it will be treasured for the rest of her life. Sorry for your loss of your Momma. I lost my Momma the early morning after Thanksgiving & she was sent home to pass with Hospice. She only lasted 1 1/2 days. We were all there too when she passed & was great full we could be with not only her but also with my 90 year old Daddy. My Daddy also lose his sister just a few weeks ago. Thank you for sharing your sad, but wonderful story with us. Sending hugs & blessings to you.

Precious story. God bless you and your family at this sad time. Your quilt is lovely. My mom passed about this time last year.

Blog Entries
    Cathy, Beautiful quilt. So glad you had the urge to finish it. Sorry about the loss of your Mom. It's always too soon. Hugs
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours!

Your quilt is beautiful, and I know it will be cherished. I am so sorry about your Mother. Losing my Mother was the hardest thing I have ever been through. She died from brain cancer.

Someone had their hands in all of this...............the good lord just knew.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

The quilt is so beautiful. And your story is even more beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss, and so glad you recognized your niece and her contribution to your mother. That quilt will always be so very special to her, and your mother would be proud of you.

Beautiful quilt, I'm sure it will be treasured.

Your story needed to have "Tissue Alert" status. What a tender and beautiful story. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. Sometimes we just feel guided when we quilt which is what I believe happened to you. Your niece must have been really touched by your gift. Thanks for sharing.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

What a beautiful story, thank you for sharing. Lovely quilt also.

Lovely story and beautiful quilt. You and your family are in my prayers, Cathy. So sorry for your loss.
    Cookie

Each quilt does have a story! Your quilt has a beautiful story and will be cherished by your niece. What a wonderful gift she gave to your Mother and what a wonderful Thank You that you gave to her.

So sorry for your loss. It was so very nice she was able to be at home until she passed, it is truly a blessing.

Both the quilt and the story are beautiful. What a special gift for your niece and it sounds like she will appreciate your work. I'm sorry for the loss of your mother.
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

Beautiful quilt and lovely tribute to your niece who so wonderfully cared.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    So sorry for your loss! I'm sure your niece is vey happy with it. Lovely gift!

THat is a wonderful blessing! Made me cry

What a great story ,although I'm sorry for your loss. She was lucky she to be at home with family.Prayers for you& your family. I am watching my 34 yr old grandson suffer from Melonoma cancer of the liver.We have him home& he is on Hospice, he is now in his final days. I just came from his room helping him couldn't sleep& read your story, so I had to tell mine.Please pray he doesn't suffer to long. I need to get back to quilting when all is over.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    Someone had their hands in all of this...............the good lord just knew.
    I was thinking the same thing.

What a beautiful quilt, so sorry to you and your family for there loss.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

Blog Entries
    you did a great job on the quilt
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

What a great story. So sorry for the loss of your mother. Your recognition of your niece with the gift of that quilt was very special and very touching. I have tears in my eyes typing this. Your mom, I'm sure, is smiling down on you for your loving kindness!

Beautifully done!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast