Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First try at Kaleidoscopes >

First try at Kaleidoscopes

First try at Kaleidoscopes

Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 AM

I guess I need a little practice at picking the placement of my template. The center looks ok, but not happy with the body of the template area. I was kind of disappointed in the e-book this time. It does not go into much detail about how to make sure each piece is cut from the same area of fabric. I am not sure how to do that part of it, and I think if you are off by just a little bit, it throws the whole kaleidescope off. Sorry Rhonda. I love my Boston Blocks e-book though!!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-17653.jpe   attachment-17655.jpe  
Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM

I really don't know what you were expecting but I like it and think its very pretty a soft floral look :D
Old 07-09-2009, 11:36 AM

I like how it turned out. How big is it? The fabric is pretty, too.

I ordered the e-book, too, but just haven't taken the time to read through it yet. I hope to get to it by the end of summer.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ducky
I like how it turned out. How big is it? The fabric is pretty, too.

I ordered the e-book, too, but just haven't taken the time to read through it yet. I hope to get to it by the end of summer.
It is about 7 1/2" across. I am going to use it as a trivet, I put batting in the middle and the backing is made out of the same fabric.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 PM

I think it's great! If you don't like it, I'll send you my address :D
Old 07-09-2009, 01:36 PM

I think it's pretty....
Old 07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

I like it too, especially the starry effect in the centre. Don't give up after doing just one, give it another try, when you have a bunch of them done, they will all look good.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 PM

As the old saying goes "Practice makes perfect" and I suspect you will do better with the next one although I don't really see that much wrong with the one you posted. I would be happy to have it.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM

I like it - you did great.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kellie G
I guess I need a little practice at picking the placement of my template. The center looks ok, but not happy with the body of the template area. I was kind of disappointed in the e-book this time. It does not go into much detail about how to make sure each piece is cut from the same area of fabric. I am not sure how to do that part of it, and I think if you are off by just a little bit, it throws the whole kaleidescope off. Sorry Rhonda. I love my Boston Blocks e-book though!!!!
There isn't much I can say about placement. It takes practice but if you trace the features of the fabric onto the template and place it on the repeat you should do fine. It looks to me that you did a good job of it!
It is hard to tell someone else how to place the template for the best look. That is kind of a subjective thing. I may like one look but you might not like it. So it is up to the quilter to decide what looks good to her or him.

Sorry I can't be more help but you are more than welcome to come over anytime and I will help you!!!
Glad you like the Bostons! Maybe the next book will cheer you up!!

I think your kaleidoscope turned out really well. It will make a differance too if you try a differant fabric or even just a differant place in your fabric here. Some comeout great and some come out just so so. That is the luck of the draw sometimes. I have some that don't come out as good as I thought they would. If you keep doing them you will get an idea of what kind of designs make the look you want.