Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Flower baskets finally quilted and ready to show! >

Flower baskets finally quilted and ready to show!

Flower baskets finally quilted and ready to show!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 AM

Beautiful..good luck!! It's a winner in my book!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 AM

This is not usually a favorite pattern of mine but I must say yours is the most beautiful one I have ever seen. Your colors are glorious and your quilting is magnificent. I think you have made me change my mind on the flower basket pattern.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:23 AM

That is such a great quilt and the quilting WOW........ I see BIG BUCKS in your future...... Happy Birthday too.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 AM

Wow! What perfection - everywhere you look, perfection! And beauty.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Which once again shows it's all about the talent of the quilter, not the machine.

I LOVE the way you made the feathers fill up all the space in their respective sections (and I'm usually not a big fan of them), and the dense quilting in the basket blocks.....LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!!!

Spectacular work...Best of luck in the show!
You are entirely too kind with your praise. But I absolutely agree that a person can achieve wonderful results on a domestic machine. A long arm is not required to quilt well. One area that I'm still not pleased with and feel a long arm would help a lot in is basting and keeping the layers tight. I pin and pin and pin but there is some shifting, like it or not, while moving the quilt all around through a domestic machine. I love how a quilt can be loaded and clipped so firmly on a long arm frame, but that alone is just not enough to sell me on the purchase of a very expensive and limited use item.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 AM

What an outstanding quilt. Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by amazon View Post
Almost speechless! Wow, Gorgeous and you did it on a regular machine to boot. I have so many questions,lol. Do you mark your quilts and how big is it? Do you sew away or toward yourself. Sorry, it's just so beautiful.I may have to reconsider buying a new machine, not that I could ever get close to your talent, but I could enjoy trying. The judges will see more than the little corner we are looking at and they will be in awe and will have to give you best in show, blue ribbons,etc.Hope you get your birthday wish.
Thank you so much for your very nice compliments. I'll try and answer your questions as best I can. I typically do not mark my quilts for quilting. In fact this was really the first quilt I've marked. I made a stencil for the little swirls around the basket and a stencil for the flower (made them out of the cheap, clear plastic sheeting you can get at Hancocks). I marked those and then just pebbled around the marked shapes. For my feathers I marked the spines because I'm just not good at traveling large distances on a quilt without a general line to guide me. I'm actually not that great at feathers yet and am a little regretful I used them on a quilt meant to show. One would think it should be simple to realize you shouldn't use a new skill on something that will be judged but conventional wisdom often escapes me.

I really don't have a set direction that I normally quilt. I position the quilt so the least amount of it is in the throat space and then that determines which direction I will quilt (away, towards me or side to side). For the border I quilted so that I was pushing the quilt away from me. Makes it easier than having it start to pile up in my lap.

This quilt is roughly 70" by nearly 80" I think. Silly that I can't remember but I measure, write it down and then don't think about it again. The larger throat space in the newer machines really does help when quilting, but it doesn't provide a magical solution to all quilting problems. I hate to hear it myself but practice and more practice is what will increase your skills. A nice new machine sometimes makes practice more fun though.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
Oh, my Goodness ! Look at the quilting ! Look at the piecing ! Look at the colors ! Oh my goodness.
Speechless! WoW!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraA View Post
Your quilt is beautiful and the quilting is absolutely gorgeous!!!!! I had to look at your older posts because for some reason I remembered that you had had a Bernina 820. I'm glad you are happy with your new machine. I'm sure you will win and happy birthday to you!
Thank you so much! I did have a Bernina 820 but I sold it this summer. I purchased the Janome Horizon and have been very, very pleased with it.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Absolutely beautiful quilt and quilting. You did a great job all the way around.