Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Flying Geese versions..

  1. #1
    Super Member RkayD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,841
    These 2 sets were sewn completely different. The one on the left were triangle shapes cut of with my Accuquilt. The one on the right was done with a rectangle and 2 squares using Pam Bono's technique that was mentioned here in this post..

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-135731-1.htm

    I have to say I love Pam Bono's method. It went together smooth and laid completely flat. These were the first ones I have ever sewn together with her method and a few are a little wonky but with a bit more practice mine are going to be perfect. =) Its all about getting the feel..

    Front
    Name:  Attachment-222487.jpe
Views: 60
Size:  73.0 KB

    BackSide
    Name:  Attachment-222504.jpe
Views: 55
Size:  74.6 KB

  2. #2
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    13,134
    They look great!
    Nice job!

  3. #3
    Junior Member frogella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kettering Ohio
    Posts
    202
    I have wanted to try it, but wasn't sure they would be right. I will be trying it now. Thanks for the pictures.

  4. #4
    Super Member happymrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,231
    I tried Pam's method this morning too, & really like doing a strip of them this way. Seems so much easier. Had to do a strip for quilt club on Sat. Instruction sheet showed us the four at one time method, so did that once, so I could tell the finished size needed. Then did the rest with Pam's method, & found it much more enjoyable, & liked the results. I don't have an her ruler, so I still marked mine. Not sure if I need that ruler, or not, any opinions? But it's still a neat way to do them.... Yours look great! Thanks for sharing!...

  5. #5
    Super Member RkayD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,841
    Quote Originally Posted by happymrs
    I don't have an her ruler, so I still marked mine. Not sure if I need that ruler, or not, any opinions? But it's still a neat way to do them.... Yours look great! Thanks for sharing!...
    You could do it without the ruler just fine. I think that the reason mine were just a smidge off is that I kept forgetting to watch the line on the ruler and kept looking at the needle. My goal for me is to use everything in my room that I have spent $$ on for making my quilting better. So much of that stuff just gathers dust. I either keep it or get rid of it.

  6. #6
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,686
    Would you show the backs of the strips, too, please?

  7. #7
    Power Poster debcavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spring Green,WI
    Posts
    14,626
    They look great

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Saginaw Michigan
    Posts
    1,190
    I think they look terrific

  9. #9
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,052
    Blog Entries
    1
    I watched that video yesterday. Yours look good. I'll have to give it a try.

  10. #10
    Super Member RkayD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,841
    I have to add that while you can do it without the ruler there is so much you can do WITH the ruler that it more than pays for itself in a short time. Its amazing how handy it is.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fultondale, Al.
    Posts
    5,368
    Great job. They are both great.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Halls Cross Roads, TN
    Posts
    944
    Blog Entries
    133
    How do you determine what size to cut the squares part of it? Is it determined by rectangle size? Is there a chart?
    Sure am needy aren't I? LOL

  13. #13
    Super Member happymrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,231
    I read in one of my quilting reference books, you decide what size you want your finished block to be. For the long stripe you add a half inch to length & width, so 2in x 4in finished, would be a 4.5 & 2.5 cut. The blocks would then be 2.5 squares. This would give you a 2in by 4in flying geese block. I think I wrote this right, lol, feel free to correct if not..
    I am still debating on that ruler, read some pros & cons about on one google link. If you have more good things to say about it, please do!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Halls Cross Roads, TN
    Posts
    944
    Blog Entries
    133
    I'm slow too. It took me a minute then the light went on. The square is the size of the short side....squared???? Is this what you said?
    Quote Originally Posted by happymrs
    I read in one of my quilting reference books, you decide what size you want your finished block to be. For the long stripe you add a half inch to length & width, so 2in x 4in finished, would be a 4.5 & 2.5 cut. The blocks would then be 2.5 squares. This would give you a 2in by 4in flying geese block. I think I wrote this right, lol, feel free to correct if not..
    I am still debating on that ruler, read some pros & cons about on one google link. If you have more good things to say about it, please do!

  15. #15
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VIRGINIA
    Posts
    22,610
    VERY NICE

  16. #16
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,480
    Good job

  17. #17
    Senior Member jlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    444
    I use Eleanor Burn's method/ruler which is very accurate. I'm going to look into this other method, too.

  18. #18
    Super Member happymrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by noahscats7
    I'm slow too. It took me a minute then the light went on. The square is the size of the short side....squared???? Is this what you said?
    Quote Originally Posted by happymrs
    I read in one of my quilting reference books, you decide what size you want your finished block to be. For the long stripe you add a half inch to length & width, so 2in x 4in finished, would be a 4.5 & 2.5 cut. The blocks would then be 2.5 squares. This would give you a 2in by 4in flying geese block. I think I wrote this right, lol, feel free to correct if not..
    I am still debating on that ruler, read some pros & cons about on one google link. If you have more good things to say about it, please do!
    Yes, your long piece is 4.5 by 2.5, so, for this size your squares would be 2.5. Make sense, hope so, if not, ask till you do understand, okay! Only way to learn. Another thing you can do is a google search, & type in, how to make a flying geese block. You might find more info, & pics there, okay! Hope this helps. I know it can get confusing...

  19. #19
    Super Member happymrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by jlong
    I use Eleanor Burn's method/ruler which is very accurate. I'm going to look into this other method, too.
    This method is good for stacking them all together, if that's what your pattern calls for....

  20. #20
    Super Member RkayD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,841
    Your squares need to be half the size of whatever size rectangle you use.

  21. #21
    Super Member happymrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by RkayD
    Your squares need to be half the size of whatever size rectangle you use.
    Little more than half, actually. Experiment & you will see...

  22. #22
    Power Poster alikat110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Posts
    15,217
    Blog Entries
    9
    Looking good. Saw the tutorial, but haven't tried it yet.

  23. #23
    Super Member Celeste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Ca
    Posts
    4,507
    Blog Entries
    32
    I like Eleanor Burns method.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.