Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: FMQ on Singer 301

FMQ on Singer 301

I was curious regarding what type of presser foot people were using on their Singer 301's for fmq. I found this video of a woman fmq'ing with the regular presser foot, it was just so cool. So I dropped my feed dogs, raised the pressure bar up as high as it would go and gave it a go. I have been mostly quilting with rulers so I have not been doing alot of designs, scrolling, or vining without a ruler so I what I've been able to do is not the prettiest, but holey moley, it works great!

I have been assembling quite a few microwave cozies for Christmas gifts and need to quilt them. I made myself one as well, so I used that as my guinea pig. Like I said, there is absolutely no elegance with the design, but I free motioned quilted it using my regular presser foot.

Name:  20171210_161640-800x600.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  124.5 KB
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Blog Entries
    that's very pretty
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

wonderful job......
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Great job...so pretty.... That was my first FMQ practice pattern. Great foundation pattern to build on.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Never thought of using a quilt block for them. Good idea for orphan blocks

Looks great.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Good job!!

tscweaves, I saw a Youtube where a woman was using a straight stitch vintage machine where it didn't have a feed dog lower button, so she unscrewed it from underneath and took the feed dogs completely off. She took off her foot too, and didn't use any foot at all!

Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    tscweaves, I saw a Youtube where a woman was using a straight stitch vintage machine where it didn't have a feed dog lower button, so she unscrewed it from underneath and took the feed dogs completely off. She took off her foot too, and didn't use any foot at all!
    That is remarkable! The longer I sew on my vintage Singers, the more amazed I am at what can be done on them and how well it can be done. They are so easy to sew on and to take care of.
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html