Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
FMQ? what did i do wrong? >

FMQ? what did i do wrong?

FMQ? what did i do wrong?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:53 AM

If nothing was changed on settings, just rethreaded after thread broke, then I would say the machine did not get threaded right. This has happened to me and usually rethreading cures the problem.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

It's your machine. Make sure of the tension in your bobbin. And go around curves slowly when you do quilt. But eyelashes that large are mainly the machine.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:00 AM

I havve found that when I move the quilt arond to FMQ, I have hit my tension button with the quilt and loosened the tension.
I now have a sticky not on my machin to remind me to check the tension Frequently.

Happy Quilting.
Susan
Old 05-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Is that the back of the fabric?

I just went threw this with my machine, it was a flipping nightmare!!!! My machine would sew fine but when I went to FMQ it would give me this crap on the back!! I found that it was the machine hook timing. Had to take it to two different places to finally get that fixed. I had tried to use a needle that I didn't realize was too long for my machine and it got jammed and that's what threw off my hook timing.
It sewed fine for a long time and then it started to do it again!! But this time it was my tension take up spring had broken!! When your sewing along fine and then something suddenly happens to the sewing, it's not your fault, it's something mechanical.

Good luck and let us know!!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:43 AM

It is your tension that's causing it, you need to tighten your spool tension. Just try it a little at a time until you get it right. Have fun :lol:
Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Make sure presser foot is down. This will make it do like that every time.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Did it happen when the spool was less full? When the spool nears empty, it has to spin faster to release the right amount of thread. Apparently this builds up some kind of static caused by the friction and makes the bobbin misbehave. My Singer 301 FMQs very well, but the bobbin thread will remove itself from the slot it needs to be in when friction builds up. On my last quilt, I just put in a full bobbin when this would happen and saved the emptier ones for piecing. It's not worth arguing with the machine.

I want to try those little teflon Bobbin Genies. I wonder if my LQS carries them.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tellabella
It may have something to do with the bobbin tension and the speed you are moving the quilt as you FM...
That was my thought too. I was getting eyelashes too until I started moving my quilt slower than the speed my machine was going.