Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Found Fabric on sale - great prices! >

Found Fabric on sale - great prices!

Found Fabric on sale - great prices!

Old 07-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Went to Walmart the other day and had to look at the fabric! I rarely find anything in the sale rack that is anything I can use. But I found these two bolts for $2 a yd!! I got each bolt 10-11 yds for $18 each!! Then the other mediums I got for reg price $3.99 but when you buy at quilt shops you pay $8-$9 a yd. I was ecstatic!! I am trying to buy my favorites by the bolt when I can afford to because I am so tired of going back and my favs are gone! Don't make it any more or not going to order anymore.
So this find was great!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-18384.jpe   attachment-18391.jpe  
Old 07-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Just came back from Hobby Lobby and I found these on sale for 30 % off. So I got the red whole bolt for $4.17 a yd. Beats $8-$9 a yd! The other three fabrics I got 2 yds of and they were $3.49! Love these prices!

I also had started a thread awhile back about wanting to make my own cloth. I have been looking for a stamp that is a small print and I finally found one at Hobby Lobby! There were also a couple more I liked but decided to practice with one first and see if it does what I want.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-17841.jpe  
Old 07-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

That is great Rhonda, what a find, it is nice when things just end up l ike that, that you find stuff that you want and at a price you are happy with.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:27 PM

Great buys! Now with all the new treats, do you have a project in mind?
(Love the blue!)
Old 07-18-2009, 03:34 PM

Glad you got some great buys on fabric you like!!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
Great buys! Now with all the new treats, do you have a project in mind?
(Love the blue!)
I sell small gift items to a local antique and gift shop so I am always looking for good tiny prints I can use! I make hotpads checkbook covers bookmarks coin purses totes and lots more.
So I am always on the hunt! And it is so satisfying when I find ones I love to use on sale!
Old 07-18-2009, 04:26 PM

What a wonderful find!
I went into a Hobby Lobby in Peru, Illinois last Wednesday when some discontinued fabrics had been marked down to $4 a yard. I bought the rest of a bolt that I think will make a great Kaleidoscope quilt. Now I need to get started! :lol:
Old 07-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Lucky you!

The Wal-marts in my area (Central PA, but also Eastern PA) no longer carry fabric. A year or two ago, I'd noticed that Wal-mart had exactly the kind of fabric I'd want for quilting, the tiny floral prints, but I hadn't started quilting at that point. The fabric shops I've been to don't have those prints. All my life those prints were around and NOW they've gone out of style????

Anyway, it's wonderful that you managed to get great fabric on sale there. Looking forward to seeing the quilts you make with it!

I'm very interested in your plan to try making your own cloth. How would you do it? Would you start with unbleached or white cloth and then dye it and print on a pattern? I imagine it'll be hard to make the edges of your stamper line up precisely. Do you have a method in mind for that?

I'll be following your posts about it, all agog with interest. : )
Old 07-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Lucky you!

The Wal-marts in my area (Central PA, but also Eastern PA) no longer carry fabric. A year or two ago, I'd noticed that Wal-mart had exactly the kind of fabric I'd want for quilting, the tiny floral prints, but I hadn't started quilting at that point. The fabric shops I've been to don't have those prints. All my life those prints were around and NOW they've gone out of style????

Anyway, it's wonderful that you managed to get great fabric on sale there. Looking forward to seeing the quilts you make with it!

I'm very interested in your plan to try making your own cloth. How would you do it? Would you start with unbleached or white cloth and then dye it and print on a pattern? I imagine it'll be hard to make the edges of your stamper line up precisely. Do you have a method in mind for that?

I'll be following your posts about it, all agog with interest. : )
Our Walmart is closing their fabric when they remodel but that isn't too soon I hope. I haven't really bought much there for awhile. There are a few that I like to get but only about 3 or 4 that i can use.

Tiny prints are really hard to find!! The market has gone more to the large florals and batiks and watercolors etc.
I tend to favor the country look of the small stuff. I am always looking for them as so many of my favorites aren't available any more.

I just thought I would try my hand at printing my own fabric. Yeah I will start with a white cloth and go from there. I am still learning so step at a time here!
Old 07-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned

i'm so happy for you, i know you've been having the hardest time finding fabric to suit your needs and taste.