Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Free motion quilting >

Free motion quilting

Free motion quilting

Old 08-02-2010, 04:46 AM

Is that the DC2010? What settings do you use and where do you set your speed. Love the foam board idea. I didn't realize when I upgraded my extension table doesn't fit my new machine.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this idea with us. I think tomorrow DH and I will head out to Home Depot or Lowe's and see what we can come up with. I've been putting together a bunch of tops, and quilting nothing except what needs to head out the door for a gift--and that is usually done the day before I need it to be done! I have this "phobia" about FMQ-ing and I set up a rule for myself (I can't start another project unless I quilt one of the UFO's waiting for me...) Well, that rule didn't work out very well either. I've just basically quit doing any of it. :? I'm thinking this idea will make it easier to get over that fear and move forward with the UFO's and hopefully get me going again.
Again, thank you for sharing!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 PM

Inovative idea. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to give it a try.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by countrymaid
Is that the DC2010? What settings do you use and where do you set your speed. Love the foam board idea. I didn't realize when I upgraded my extension table doesn't fit my new machine.
Yes, I sew on a DC2010 and like it a lot. Except for the problem with the foot pedal (see another thread), but I got a free replacement. I think I usually set the speed on the highest setting. When it comes to tension I'm not sure I have figured out the perfect one yet, but mostly I have mine around 5.

I haven't checked this thread in a while and am amazed and glad that so many of you found this useful. Like I said before, I've learnt so much here!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:33 AM

Very clever! thank you for sharing that.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 AM

Thanks so much for your ideas. I am new to quilting, well kinda new. I made a double-wedding ring quilt for my baby girl nine years ago for a wedding gift. It was hand quilted in quilting frame. Now I have been quilting for about the last year and want to quilt by machine. I love the free motion quilting and have done some on table runners to learn how. Your method looks great. I also would like to see pictures of you at work using your new method. I would love to have long arm machine but we all know how costly they are. Still I can hope,pray and dream. God will provide. Thanks again. LOL so glad you found what works for you. Happy Stitchin
Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 AM

This seems to make great sense!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 AM

That is a great idea, I dont' knwo why I didn't think of it! I mean, I do have a mid-arm in a frame that sits turned like that, why can't I turn my DSM on the sewing table to do smaller quilts? I have one of the acrylic bed extenders, too, so it would make perfect sense!

Funny how it sometimes takes someone else's question to make you realize you've already got the answer to your frustrations. =)
Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 AM

Foarm is cut so easy with an Electric Knife. I purchased one at Goodwill for $1.00.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM

That is cool! I thought about buying a new machine just for the wide throat!!! With this idea I won't have to! Theonly thing how do you adjust to having your foot not in front of you?