Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Freehand fmq feathers - great method!

That's lovely Fireworks! Great feathering ... did you quilt from the back? I do sometimes when it's difficult to see the stitching lines because of the fabric print.
    I love bird fabric, and those colours in yours are wonderful.

Curious, did you stand or sit down while FMQing?

This is one area I get very nervous even thinking about doing. Need to get my confidence up to do it.

My DH is going by a JoAnn's tom. I may just have to have him check on this book with the coupon I have.

I just realized I bought some FQ's of the fabric in your larger blocks in your runner. I was disappointed they only had 4 FQ's.
    Now I have a better idea of what to do with it. So pretty!

Sitting - although I do raise the chair a bit when doing fmq because I find it much easier, than the height I sit at for piecing. And I think you get better control of the bulk when doing a bigger item. I am sure if you try this method it will give you plenty of confidence because it is so easy and forgiving! Make a runner and do a small item first.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Definitely buy this book!!! It's excellent! I just got a 6600 and have done a couple of runners with this technique - up til now I'd only done meanders and this technique is so much fun and so effective, even if you wobble (which I did - quite a lot!) LOL I'll post my runners later, just have to bind one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrine
    That's lovely Fireworks! Great feathering ... did you quilt from the back? I do sometimes when it's difficult to see the stitching lines because of the fabric print.
    I love bird fabric, and those colours in yours are wonderful.
    Yes, I stitched from the back. i knew I'd not be able to see where I was going if I tried from the front. Also since I found that variegated thread in the colors from the print, I knew my back needed to be a contrasting color - therefore I used black. Plus it looks good with the front.

WOW! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by drivingsusan
    Wow, what a difference!!! I love it---have to get that book!Thank you for the book review! Great work!!!
    ditto

Dkm
    I also bought the book, but have a question. Did you sew the veins on first and then go back and do the feathers? I did some on a small wall hanging, but found at this time I can only do one direction. Practice makes perfect(I'm not giving up). The book is well worth buying. I would never have tried the other way.

Dkm - If I'm in an "open" space I come down top to bottom with the spine, then straight back up the right side - but restart the the left side from the bottom again, but if its a border you can get it done all around therefore without stopping.
    If working off/in blocks I sight a seam as the spine.

Dkm - If I'm in an "open" space I come down top to bottom with the spine, then straight back up the right side - but restart the the left side from the bottom again, but if its a border you can get it done all around therefore without stopping.
    If working off/in blocks I sight a seam as the spine.
    Well, I did it, Miss Katrine! I bought the book - - decided it was a sign a friend was in the right place to go to the right store to get the book. Now to get a quilt ready to quilt and practice on! I don't know if you did something TO me or FOR me! LOL
    I love your feathers, and the more I look at them, the more possibilities I see .... good deal!

Good for you Omak - you will see even more possibilities once you have a go at the method - there is so much to give ideas in the book. I'd love to know what you think once you've done some.

Good for you Omak - you will see even more possibilities once you have a go at the method - there is so much to give ideas in the book. I'd love to know what you think once you've done some.
    I like having my quilting to be very open, rather than all knocked down by tiny stippling. I haven't succeeded in opening my stippling up, due to the small strips I have to quilt in, so I am thinking this will do the trick. I was messing with drawing the fan in the air, and keeping in mind that one side of my fans is always different than the other side, (which may always be the case), I realized that this feather is quite versatile for making that transition. I may get to a quilt by this weekend, so will definitely be thinking of you and will report back (with pictures!) DH bought me a new camera last weekend for a project that fell through, but I have a new camera! LOL

Omak,
    I think the fact that this method does look like freehand drawing, so both sides of the feather don't look exactly symmetrical. That's what really appeals to me with this method. I'm not into doing traditional piecing or stitching, even tho I do appreciate it.

I think I need that book! I have never tried to do feathers but you have done a great job! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by omak
    I like having my quilting to be very open, rather than all knocked down by tiny stippling. I haven't succeeded in opening my stippling up, due to the small strips I have to quilt in, so I am thinking this will do the trick. I was messing with drawing the fan in the air, and keeping in mind that one side of my fans is always different than the other side, (which may always be the case), I realized that this feather is quite versatile for making that transition. I may get to a quilt by this weekend, so will definitely be thinking of you and will report back (with pictures!) DH bought me a new camera last weekend for a project that fell through, but I have a new camera! LOL
    Know what you mean Omak - I'm the same. I think you could do almost what you wish with this method, you're right it is very versatile and it's easy to make a unique design. I have a pieced jelly roll quilt on the wall at the moment I am wondering how to quilt - lots of pieces of paper strewn around with ideas on................
    And what better way to play with your new camera than taking pix of a newly quilted item? :lol:

This is stunning! Since I am fairly new to quilting, what is the pattern of the runner? I too am going to get that book!

Quilting makes a world of difference, makes the piecing come alive.

Margie

Blog Entries
    Wow, you did a great job! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnique
    This is stunning! Since I am fairly new to quilting, what is the pattern of the runner? I too am going to get that book!
    I'd like to know too, please ;-) ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewnique
    I'd like to know too, please ;-) ;-)
    Janet and Sewnique - here's a link to the pattern for the runner on p.1 (the one on p.5 was only spare blocks I played with).

http://www.quiltbug.com/Free/table-topper.htm

wow . . . NICE WORK.

Very pretty... I've got to learn how to do this!

Just gorgeous!

Thank you so much Katrine for the link to the pattern you used for your stunning runner. I am so impressed with the quilting you did. It took your beautiful runner and made it breathtaking. You've inspired me and I just purchased Hooked on Feathers with the hope that with a lot of practice I will be able to learn FMQ feathers. Thanks again. :-D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t149967.html
    absolutely love feathers! sally terry is my go to gal if i want something special, I did this customers quilt completely free hand, and loved it! Loved your table runner too, nice job!
    katz

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast