Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Gail's Koi Pond >

Gail's Koi Pond

Gail's Koi Pond

Old 02-23-2020, 08:19 PM

Amazing quilt and amazing quilting! It's gorgeous!
Old 02-24-2020, 03:25 AM

Takes my breath away..the back is as beautiful as the front..Outstanding work by each of you!
Old 02-24-2020, 03:33 AM

Wow! That’s fantastic, Tallchick. you did a great job with the quilting for this beautiful piece. The back shows how beautifully your quilting supports and enhances the artistry of the top.

Rob

Old 02-24-2020, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

great quilt and quilting
Old 02-24-2020, 04:42 AM

Talk about an "art quilt"! That is gorgeous in the photos - I can only imagine what it must be like to see it up close and personal. Thanks for including the technical details (inquiring minds want to know!) I also take heart in the fact that even with your amazing skills as a longarmer, you occasionally feel the need to do some stitch removal. That's got to be a prizewinner somewhere!
Old 02-24-2020, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
that is wonderful! As usual, your quilting is perfect--I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to attempt quilting on that background. you did a great job--did the background fabric paper have any fraying as you stitched? Also, I'm not familiar with Rheingold thread--why did you choose it? Thanks!
Thanks so much quiltingshorttimer. The silk background fabric reminded me mostly of fabric treated with a heavyweight fusible. It was stiff like that and once the needle punched a hole it stayed. But it also did not like to get wet! It kind of blistered and bubbled on the test piece. After it dried that blistering went flat again but I felt wetting it would definitely compromise the integrity of it. I knew I couldn't use a super fine thread as it wouldn't fill up the needle hole like a 40 wt would. But the lion's share of my quilting thread stash is 40 wt poly, like glide. There was no fraying because this stuff wasn't woven. The silk fibers Gail used were like roving and were already dyed, she got a variety of golds and earth tones. Gail would peel off some of the roving fibers and lay them down with the glue stuff. I didn't see the whole process she just gave me a quick "how I did it" explanation when she started.

I had never heard of Rheingold thread either. My good quilting buddy uses mostly specialty threads and Invisifil so she sold me her stash of Glide. She included a cone of this because it was such a rich, lustrous gold color and she knew my love of Asian fabrics and thought I could use it as she never would. The color was perfect for this so that is why I used it. If I didn't have it, I probably would have used Glide in a gold color.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:09 AM

Absolutely gorgeous! You both did fabulous jobs.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Absolutely beautiful quilt and quilting. She did a great job.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:01 AM

LMG! That is gorgeous...a real piece of art. You are far braver than I will ever be!
Old 02-24-2020, 06:55 AM

Awesome and the quilting is spot on!!