Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Glenn's Pincushion >

Glenn's Pincushion

Glenn's Pincushion

Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
Oh i love this. Did you leave the paper pcs in? How big is it finished. Do you use it as a pincushion.
this is a fabulous thingy. I need one.
You did a fab job on it.
any hints for the rest of us who want to try it.
The best advice is to go back to Glenn's original thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...on-t98864.html and check ghostrider's suggestions. That's what I did. She's very clear. There are some examples as well as patterns if you follow her link. My suggestions: Don't bother cutting diamond shapes in your fabric--a rough rectangle works well. I found a dab of glue stick helped with the sharper points. Not being very handy with my computer, I copied the diamond on the link, pulled up a new email and found I could put 3 rows of 5 diamonds (rhombi) per sheet. I mailed it to myself, stacked the print on three more sheets of tag and cut the necessary 60 papers. The finished project is about 6 inches diameter, the rhombi just a bit more than 1 inch on each side.

Three of the stars were fussy cut, the remainder in similar colors. I enjoyed basting and joining each star before beginning the next. I confess to pinning the first six stars correctly but when sewing I mistook which star was in the center and sewed the entire half wrong. It was such a fun project I didn't mind the ripping time.

It is not as complicated as it appears (despite my six-star error) if you are able to see it as a central star with five surrounding stars stitched onto its five diamonds and those five then stitched to each other on their sides. Do this twice and then join the two haves, stuff and close. I used different color groups for each star to help me visualize the process.

This is a small project: 12 stars of five diamonds--sixty in all.

I did leave the (stiff) papers in. It seemed to me it might bulge out when stuffed if the papers were removed but it won't be a very good pincushion this way. Next one will be sans papers......we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Greenheron; 01-18-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM

You did a great job!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

That is a very unique pin cushion.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Greenheron, thanks for re-posting your pic. I wasn't even getting anything that indicated there was a pic the first time I replied. It does look challenging but doable. I will keep your suggestions in mind if this project makes it to the top of my bucket list. Thanks for the links.
kathyd
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 AM

I checked out the link to get a better view. WOW! What an awesome undertaking you took on. It looks great. I love the baby toy version too. Thanks for sharing!