Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Glue-basting is now liquid gold, for me! >

Glue-basting is now liquid gold, for me!

Glue-basting is now liquid gold, for me!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 PM

Great job!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 PM

Elmer's Glue, really? I will give this a try.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 PM

your quilt look great. what a good tip.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:17 AM

thank you for posting. I avoid spray basting because i don't like trying to manage the overspray. I appreciate your details on glue basting and am going to try it. if I ever get my PCQuilter going I won't need it, but in the mean time. .
Your quilt is lovely, great colors.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMazz View Post
LOL! Yeah that was my same thought when I first read about it too. Who woulda thought, huh? It seems that the most simple is almost always the best way.

What I did to baste it is this(prolly not the simpelist way but ya gotta start somewhere, right):
I pinned the batting to the design wall(2 huge flannel backed tablecloths thumbtacked to wall, lengthwise). then pinned the backing on top of it. Lining it up and smoothing it flat.
Then, put a row of pins across the middle of the partial sandwich marking that. Starting with the bottom half of just the backing, I pulled it up to where the pins are at the middle and pined that half up out of the way. Using the glue, I started marking a 4" grid on the batting. Now, I only marked half of this exposed batting so I had room to smooth the backing down without much difficulty. Once the batting was marked with glue, I unpinned the bottom half and grabbed each corner(may want a helper if it's farther than ya can reach on your own from corner to corner) laying the backing right over the glue. Smooth, smooth, smooth. After letting that sit for maybe 20 mins. or so, I repeated the steps. Only this time, I brought the bottom half up only to the bottom of the previous grid, and pinned it. Again, mark the grid, unpin and smooth, smooth, smooth.
For the top half, I did the same thing going up from the middle pins towards the top. Once the whole back had been glued, I let dry for an hour or so and then unpinned the whole sandwich(DD helped me get it off the wall without disturbing it too much) and turned it over. Now the batting is facing out and I just did the same thing with the quilt top. I found it actually quite fun to just play around with the glueing part by making random shapes, wavy lines, and lots of smilies(Hey, it doesn't take much at all to amuse me ;-) ).

I hope this helps anyone who was wondering about this method. Prolly overkill as the original thread was linked but, just in case someone was still wondering.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM

Lovely quilt. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 AM

Have any handquilters tried the glue method? I am thinking it would be hard to push a needle through the glue areas.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 AM

Really nice
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMazz View Post
Just make sure you use Elmer's SCHOOL Glue.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 AM

I am mixed up - or maybe I'm not!! If it says Elmer's school glue washable - that means you DON"T use it, right? Most of the Elmers school glue labels I've seen say washable.