Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Good News/ BAD NEWS/ Good News

Kathy,
    What a beautiful quilt even if you did have to quilt it twice! The first time was for practice, I'm sure.

I had no idea wool would do what it did to you. I used a wool batt for my step-daughter's quilt and washed and dried it but good fortune was smiling on me (I just didn't have any idea how much) because I pulled the quilt out while it was damp and got only a very small bit of puckering. What luck! So sorry you weren't as lucky!

Now to write my step-daughter and tell her not to put that thing in the dryer! I don't want to have to unquilt that thing!

Indeed you are our hero! Thank you for sharing so we don't have to experience what you went through! It's most appreciated!

Kathy, I do feel your pain but I'm so glad you were able to save it. Now this quilt will just have more of a story to go with it. Beautiful quilt!!! :D

Oh, Kathy, that was painful to look at, but I'm so glad you were able to fix it. I don't know what I would have done, I have no patience when it comes to things like that. I probably would have thrown it in a corner and started all over. Kudos to you. And I hope your surgery went well and I pray for a fast recovery!!!

Kathy, Great recovery. That is a really beautiful quilt. I had to unquilt a quilt once and it was a laborious job, but I'm glad I did it. The end result was worth the effort.

Helen

Kathy, that is a gorgeous quilt and an awesome recovery. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I had something like that happen, some years ago. I made whole cloth quilt as a charity project. I tried to line up the fabric and the batting and the backing. It was a lofty batting. It came out with more lumps than my first attempt at homemade gravy. life goes on. keep quilting. :D

Quote Originally Posted by kathy

tim, i'm impressed that you admitted that you would have cried, or was that just to make me feel better? ok, i showed you mine now you have to show us yours! roflmbo
    My "triple chain (without the chain)" is complete. I need to wash and dry it myself. It has" Warm and White" in it, I hope it doesn't do what your wool one did. I'll take pictures of it when I give to Phoebe for her bed.

Not only would I have cried, I would have said a lot of things that would make a Marine blush.

That's sort of how I am.

tim in san jose

Kathy, your quilt is gorgeous, glad you could save it. Did you use Warm and Natural this time?

The quilt is beautiful, and more meaningful after all you have gone through in it's creation! I hope your FIL loves it.

I wanted to ask what size block you used for the blue squares. I'm going to do one in greens for my nephew's upcoming wedding and can't decide between 2 or 2 1/2 inch blocks.

Diane

Oh my! I'd have cried and stuck the thing in a box for at least a year. You were brave to tackle it right away.

Blog Entries
    I'd have tried to see if anybody else wanted it to fix! (Maybe.)

It's beautiful, and the others are right, you are a hero for undoing it and starting again! Your Mom too!

yes Diane I used Warm and White, it's wonderful, like a blanket. On the second go round, I used a 12wt thread and just made one diagonal line down the center of the chain and hand quilted around the designs on the solid blocks to make them puff up. I cut my strips at 2-1/2 so they finished at 2". I have been thinking of doing a green quilt too. I think if I use the Irish Chain for it I will fin a small print for those solid blocks and then lite, med. and dark for the chain.
    We went to visit on Sunday so I could give him the quilt, he got teary eyed (he's 90). He saw the lable but I know he couldn't read it so my sister in law who lives with him is going to "notice" it and read it to him.
    I could have done it without my mom but would probably still be working on it! Sometimes it would be hung and not moving but I made a lot of stitches before I noticed and those tiny things were very hard to get out.

Kathy....Your quilt is absolutly gorgeous...beautifull work....I am sorry about the misfortune with the dryer....I run once into a similar experience ..The dryers are "quilts killers".....I took off all the batting and reused the top.......
    Hope you can save this quilt since you really did a great job...Good luck

bj
    Kathy your quilt is beautiful. Your patience is admirable. Your work ethic is commendable. Your mom is wonderful to help you. I'm sorry you had the unfortunate wool experience, but what a prize you ended up with. And we all learned a valuable lesson vicariously! Makes me glad I'm allergic to wool and would never consider using it or I'd probably be in the "been there done that" category! Way to go!!!!

Never give up! Never surrender!

Kathy, Kathy, Kathy! You have earned So Much good Karma! Well done, You!

:oops: we need a smilie that bows, humbly of course!
    thank you all for the kind words, my mom really likes it when I tell her all my friends think she's wonderful for helping me, she's old and feeble.

You are Both

***HEROES OF THE REALM***

Kathy and Mom:
    Congrats! You both are super quilter heros! I'm so glad you were able to save the quilt but I'm also VERY glad you shared your pain with us...it surely will prevent the rest of us from "feeling" our own pain through ignorance and the clothes dryer. Thank you for sharing.

Feathers

Kathy...I don't think my last post came out quite how I meant it. I in NO WAY meant to infer you were ignorant...I meant that any of us could have used the dryer on wool the same as you did out of ignorance but now, thanks to you, we know better and won't repeat your painful mistake. Is that better???? :oops: :oops:

Feathers

oh Feathers, I knew what you meant silly girl!
    I do hope everybody reads this and remembers that a recomendation is not always just a suggestion!

I'm so glad that you were able to save this beautiful quilt. What a labor of love! And, I think we will all benefit from learning from your "mistake" of using the wool batting!!!!!!!
    ~Joan

Kathy, you and Mom did a marvelous job of unquilting and rescued a gorgeous quilt top in the process.

Every quilt has a story and this quilt has heroes!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. This was quite the learning curve for all of us :!:

Tim, it is good to see you posting once again. We missed you.
    Yup, I would have cried and stomped and screamed -- had this happened to me. I also would have drawn on some of the vocabulary from my retired Navy seadog who spent most of his career with the USMC.

Piecefully yorus,
    Kay Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Are ANY wool bats washable?
    Interested to know also. I have a couple alpaca/wool blend and Alpaca/Cotton blend bats I want to use some day (on quilts meant for cold weather). I would hate to put them into a quilt and have them explode.

tim in san jose

Oh my, what a roller coaster of a story. I sincerely applaud your efforts and the quilt is absolutely beautiful. (I probably would have given up) I admire you for sticking with it and getting it "right". Hope you heal quickly from your CT surgery and can get back to quilt making soon.

Missed this story until today. Your quilt is beautiful and if it had been me, ir would still be in a heap somewhere all by itself! Great job on the requilting. I bet your Dad loved it. Your lesson will be remembered by all of us! Thanks for that at least!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast