Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72

Thread: Grab-A-Scrap Lap and More Minis

  1. #1
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    This was a fun project using up scraps without paying attn. to color that I started last week. In case you missed the post, here is the link to my Grab-A-Scrap WIP:

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56035-1.htm

    The pieces were grabbed, sewn and then trimmed to 3/4" going around the block log cabin style. Still need to add borders that I haven't decided on yet.

    The next item is Charm Mini #1. The pattern is Crossed Canoes! I just love that block!! I was thinking about it not long ago and decided to finish it. I started it 6 years ago and it's been waiting for me! Eight little blocks had been done, all PP patterns were ready so I made 8 more little blocks for a quick 4 block mini. It looks just like a Kaleidoscope block! The only difference between the two is that Crossed Canoes' center block is 4 quarter sections where K is a whole square. I just love that little Crossed Canoe block and hope you enjoy my mini! I liked it so well when I got done that I made another one, Charm Mini #2!!! Between both of them, I used 128 different fabrics. In the first mini, I used larger scale fabrics to give it an antique feel to it and I really like #1 the best. I put #2 on point and it's interesting too. I found cheater cloth in the stash and wanted to use it some way so I decided it would make a quick border for #2 mini. BTW, the pattern I did 6 yrs. ago was my own in case you wondered where I got it. I wanted it to finish at 2" blocks PP so I just drew it myself.

    The last mini is a chicken panel I wanted to use up. Wow! I can't believe I did this but I had no pattern at all when I started it and just added strips and then trimmed them to 1/2" and did a pineapple method around the chicken. It worked well without a pattern and want to try this again! I have no need for hot pads, potholders or trivets so this will just be a mini for decoration purposes or a gift.

    Thank you for looking and enjoying my minis! :-D

    Grab-A-Scrap Lap
    Name:  Attachment-92443.jpe
Views: 3451
Size:  67.5 KB

    early beginnings
    Name:  Attachment-92444.jpe
Views: 3403
Size:  68.3 KB

    close up
    Name:  Attachment-92445.jpe
Views: 3423
Size:  64.1 KB

    some of the fabs -- big fish
    Name:  Attachment-92447.jpe
Views: 3411
Size:  51.4 KB

    pink rabbits
    Name:  Attachment-92448.jpe
Views: 3409
Size:  48.9 KB

    clown faces
    Name:  Attachment-92449.jpe
Views: 3393
Size:  60.4 KB

    little fish
    Name:  Attachment-92450.jpe
Views: 3394
Size:  56.7 KB

    upright
    Name:  Attachment-92451.jpe
Views: 3389
Size:  46.5 KB

    charm mini #1
    Name:  Attachment-92452.jpe
Views: 3405
Size:  54.4 KB

    a better pic of the fabs and closer up
    Name:  Attachment-92453.jpe
Views: 3378
Size:  55.5 KB

    Charm Mini #2
    Name:  Attachment-92454.jpe
Views: 3387
Size:  47.7 KB

    really close up!
    Name:  Attachment-92456.jpe
Views: 3392
Size:  53.8 KB

    ready for Pebble HQ by hand (!) - you go around each pebble twice (I'll do it in the background areas)
    Name:  Attachment-92457.jpe
Views: 3379
Size:  51.3 KB

    chicken mini
    Name:  Attachment-92458.jpe
Views: 3383
Size:  69.5 KB

    backside
    Name:  Attachment-92459.jpe
Views: 3359
Size:  49.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    They are beautiful!

  3. #3
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    They are beautiful!
    Thank you, Jim's Gem, sooo much!!

    ;) :thumbup:

  4. #4
    Super Member lindyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    sunbury victoria australia
    Posts
    2,599
    What a great idea for I spy quilts. And they're sooo cute too.

  5. #5
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,285
    They are beautiful...and I can see you love your fabrics...very colourful and vibrant. Thanks for sharing your work.

  6. #6
    Super Member rootyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Selkirk, NY
    Posts
    9,681
    Blog Entries
    1
    Very nice!

  7. #7
    Senior Member freezeframe03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    345
    Lots of fun projects. The scrap quilt is really fun to look through all the fabrics. Great idea for a wonderfully colorful quilt.

  8. #8
    Super Member SharonAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Silicon Valley, San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,464
    These are so colorful and cheery. They made me happy and smiley so early this morning. Thanks for sharing.

  9. #9
    Super Member nwm50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,316
    WOW....you are so talented! I love them all but especially the chicken! You have given me a idea how what to do with my Rooster panel !

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,315
    You are giving me courage to try this!

  11. #11
    Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    461
    F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S.! I'm in awe. I love how you did the Grab a Scrap lap quilt and used the white fabric and a colored fabric to make the last 2 rounds for each block. Even though this is a scrappy quilt, that feature makes it look like the quilt took a lot of planning. I am soooooooooooo going to use this idea for a scrappy quilt. Thanks for the pictures.

    The talent of the women on this board blows me away.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Twilliebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    555
    They are great and I especially love the 'Grab a Scrap'. I looked at the link to the work in progress and I also really like the contemporary look when you had them laid out with the white borders only. I'll definitely be doing some of these, being a fellow scrap lover. It's such a nice surprise when you put things together randomly that you would never ordinarily combine and are surprised when they somehow magically work together. Thanks for the pictures and mini-tutorial!

  13. #13
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by lindyline
    What a great idea for I spy quilts. And they're sooo cute too.
    Thank you soooo much, lindyline! Never thought about I spy before but you're right!!! A great idea!! :-D ;) ;)

  14. #14
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    They are beautiful...and I can see you love your fabrics...very colourful and vibrant. Thanks for sharing your work.
    Thank you so much, earthwalker, for those nice compliments!! I especially have a love for color and am learning how to use it better. I do love all fabrics!! They were fun to do and your very welcome!!!

    ;) ;) :D :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

  15. #15
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by rootyr
    Very nice!
    Thank you, rootyr!!!

    ;) ;) :-D

  16. #16
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe03
    Lots of fun projects. The scrap quilt is really fun to look through all the fabrics. Great idea for a wonderfully colorful quilt.
    Thank you so much, freezeframe03!! The fun part is seeing all the different fabrics used! Gather up your most colorful fabs for a fun quilt!!

    :D :D ;) ;)

  17. #17
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,766
    Blog Entries
    50
    Those are really great! Love your use of color. I like the way you did the borders on the chicken! I collect chickens so I am always drawn to the chickens! LOL

  18. #18
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,676
    Blog Entries
    2
    oh i love the charm mini's. just lovely.

  19. #19
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
    This was a fun project using up scraps without paying attn. to color that I started last week. In case you missed the post, here is the link to my Grab-A-Scrap WIP:

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56035-1.htm

    The pieces were grabbed, sewn and then trimmed to 3/4" going around the block log cabin style. Still need to add borders that I haven't decided on yet.

    The next item is Charm Mini #1. The pattern is Crossed Canoes! I just love that block!! I was thinking about it not long ago and decided to finish it. I started it 6 years ago and it's been waiting for me! Eight little blocks had been done, all PP patterns were ready so I made 8 more little blocks for a quick 4 block mini. It looks just like a Kaleidoscope block! The only difference between the two is that Crossed Canoes' center block is 4 quarter sections where K is a whole square. I just love that little Crossed Canoe block and hope you enjoy my mini! I liked it so well when I got done that I made another one, Charm Mini #2!!! Between both of them, I used 128 different fabrics. In the first mini, I used larger scale fabrics to give it an antique feel to it and I really like #1 the best. I put #2 on point and it's interesting too. I found cheater cloth in the stash and wanted to use it some way so I decided it would make a quick border for #2 mini. BTW, the pattern I did 6 yrs. ago was my own in case you wondered where I got it. I wanted it to finish at 2" blocks PP so I just drew it myself.

    The last mini is a chicken panel I wanted to use up. Wow! I can't believe I did this but I had no pattern at all when I started it and just added strips and then trimmed them to 1/2" and did a pineapple method around the chicken. It worked well without a pattern and want to try this again! I have no need for hot pads, potholders or trivets so this will just be a mini for decoration purposes or a gift.

    Thank you for looking and enjoying my minis! :-D
    Those are great. What is the name of the charm mini #2?

  20. #20
    Super Member MaryStoaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    3,925
    Beautiful work. I love your scrappys. The detail and print variety is amazing.

  21. #21
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Those are really great! Love your use of color. I like the way you did the borders on the chicken! I collect chickens so I am always drawn to the chickens! LOL
    Thank you so much, Rhonda!! I didn't know you collected chickens! Yes, I can't believe I got all the angles right on the corners so I'll be doing more pineapple style blocks this way and throw the PP out!! LOL.

    :D ;) :D 8-)

  22. #22
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    oh i love the charm mini's. just lovely.
    Oh, thank you sooo much, nativetexan!!

    :D :wink: :wink:

  23. #23
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112
    Quote Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
    This was a fun project using up scraps without paying attn. to color that I started last week. In case you missed the post, here is the link to my Grab-A-Scrap WIP:

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56035-1.htm

    The pieces were grabbed, sewn and then trimmed to 3/4" going around the block log cabin style. Still need to add borders that I haven't decided on yet.

    The next item is Charm Mini #1. The pattern is Crossed Canoes! I just love that block!! I was thinking about it not long ago and decided to finish it. I started it 6 years ago and it's been waiting for me! Eight little blocks had been done, all PP patterns were ready so I made 8 more little blocks for a quick 4 block mini. It looks just like a Kaleidoscope block! The only difference between the two is that Crossed Canoes' center block is 4 quarter sections where K is a whole square. I just love that little Crossed Canoe block and hope you enjoy my mini! I liked it so well when I got done that I made another one, Charm Mini #2!!! Between both of them, I used 128 different fabrics. In the first mini, I used larger scale fabrics to give it an antique feel to it and I really like #1 the best. I put #2 on point and it's interesting too. I found cheater cloth in the stash and wanted to use it some way so I decided it would make a quick border for #2 mini. BTW, the pattern I did 6 yrs. ago was my own in case you wondered where I got it. I wanted it to finish at 2" blocks PP so I just drew it myself.

    The last mini is a chicken panel I wanted to use up. Wow! I can't believe I did this but I had no pattern at all when I started it and just added strips and then trimmed them to 1/2" and did a pineapple method around the chicken. It worked well without a pattern and want to try this again! I have no need for hot pads, potholders or trivets so this will just be a mini for decoration purposes or a gift.

    Thank you for looking and enjoying my minis! :-D
    Those are great. What is the name of the charm mini #2?
    They are both the same blocks, Crossed Canoes. It's just mini #2 was placed on point and it sure looks different, doesn't it? Look at it sideways and you can see it's the same as mini #1, just all different fabrics! Thank you, kristen0112!!!

    :D :D :D :wink:

  24. #24
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    Beautiful work. I love your scrappys. The detail and print variety is amazing.
    Thank you so much, MaryStoaks!! It's so nice of you to say! Yes, it's interesting getting all these fabs together in one quilt. I'd love to use some of the fabs at least once, but that's hard to do!! It's fun trying!!

    :D :D ;) ;) :roll: :D

  25. #25
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    These are so colorful and cheery. They made me happy and smiley so early this morning. Thanks for sharing.
    Hi SharonAnne!! So glad my work cheered you up! Thank you so much for your nice compliments!! It's so very appreciated! Your welcome!!

    :D ;) ;) Such beautiful comments!! :thumbup:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.