Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Grandma's Folly, a salute to my mother.....

Such a happy quilt, congratulations.

I totally love your bright and cheery quilt. The pattern looks like it would be such fun to put together. I love the piecing part of quilting. I must look that pattern up.

Its very bright, but those sorts of quilts make it feel like summer,I love it.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

What a bright, colorful quilt. I receive newsletters from The Green Fairy Quilts and I love to browse their site, now I will have to look for that pattern. It looks like an easy pattern to make. Thanks for sharing.
    Pat
    Patsy

Love the story behind this quilt . I still see blue and green together and think to myself that maybe I dreamed that you weren't to wear those together lol.

lovely job on your quilt ,I bet it kept you grinning and happy all the while you sewed.
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Blog Entries
    I am so happy to know that so many of us had the same experiences when we were young. My mother was the 6th child of 8 growing up in a farm family. I still think it is funny how she thought that making a quilt was a waste of time, and impractical. She didn't think much of people who quilted. I look back and think how much fun I could have had putting all her scraps into quilts. I know she would be proud of what I am doing, because most of my quilts go to charity or anyone who is in need of "warmth", both physically and mentally.

As far as the Green Fairy pattern, they aren't difficult at all, and really quite fun to put together. I kept a pencil at hand and checked off the completed sections as I went along. I may actually do that pattern again in another colorway and see what it looks like.

Blog Entries
    Oh my gosh - I grew up in the 50's and our outfits were always made up of one plaid or print and two matching solid colors, which included our socks, hair ribbons and any other accessories! My very first quilt was a chinese coin quilt and it took me forever to pick out about 20 different fabrics to use in the quilt - plaids, checks, tiny little florals and polka dots!! I could almost feel my mother reaching out from heaven, tapping me on the shoulder, wanting to tell me that you can't do that!!! After 3 months of those strips being moved around nightly on the dining room table, I took the plunge and sewed them together and they looked wonderful. Studying the quilt top as I hand quilted, I realized that all of the fabrics that I had selected were in the colors and prints that my always loved and wore. It was a moment of revelation to me that my mother would have loved and approved of this little quilt which has become a tribute to her! And it released me from a fear of trying out new and different fabric combinations.

I just love it. It makes one feel so hapy looking at this pretty quilt.

not only blue and green but also red and pink
    prolific hand quilter

I absolutely love this quilt! Great colour and pattern combinations. So cheery!

She raised a rebel, no matchy, matchy. It is so bright and happy. I love the scrappy binding.
    DEB CAVAN

Just love it, great job and thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

I think it is beautiful bright and cheery. I can not relate to the story as far as my age goes, but the colors seem to go together well.

I was a child of that era -- born in '40, teen in the 50's. I know exactly what you mean. Only problem with me was: I loved those no-no combinations! I had a favorite skirt which was chartreuse (I think it's now called lime green). Well, I wore a pair of red shoes with it and something red pinned onto my blouse or a red neckerchief (remember those?) My dear best friend was a matchy-matchy person and would call me down on my mismatched outfit. I also loved turquoise (my favorite color of all times) combined with "fuchia" (a red violet -- much of which we see in fabrics and decor today). I liked certain pinks with certain reds. AND I like brown and black together. I realize I must have been considered such a weirdo. When I studied art in college, we worked with combining colors. My professor would always mention my "flare" {{{{snicker,, snicker}}}} for colors. I never knew if she was poking fun or speaking truthfully. Of course I didn't care either way. I'm glad that some of those fifties color combos are back, but the seventies designs can go. (My own opinion of course D
    Last edited by GailG; 06-15-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: spellings
    One step at a time, always forward.

I'm drawn to brighter colors the older I get. I think my grandma would have approved of your pretty quilt. She always wore pretty, bright clothes and encouraged me to do the same!

I remember those color rules also, I also remember pondering the fact that nature did not follow those rules and had great success in creating beauty. I could not for the life of me understand why blue and green could not go together. I also remember when my mother showed me a cover of, I think, Life magazine with models wearing blue and green together saying see now we can wear blue and green together. I looked at the blue bachelor buttons in the garden and snorted, I was ever tactful as a child. I also remember when our health class teacher who also doubled as the boys PE teacher told me in class that stripes, my blouse, and tweed, my skirt, did not go together. I also remember my trip to the principals office for replying " since when were you elected fashion director of Newport Oregon?" As I said ever tactful and demure. I felt vindicated a month later when he and the girls PE teacher ran off together, both were married to other people...it was a big scandal. I just laughed when I heard,and said, "I knew he had bad taste" As I said tactful and sweetly forgiving.....I will bet where ever they are today one of them is wearing stripes and plaids in blue and green. Here you need to know I am laughing still but in a sweet, demure, tactful manner.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

I like the colors. Nice job!

I just love all those great colors and fabric prints together! I think this will be a favorite for you!

What a happy and cheerful quilt! Makes me smile just to see it. Great job!

Blog Entries
    I grew up in the 40s and yes, everything had to match. But I've always likes the bold & bright colors. Way back in the 60s I even bought a blue suit with a green top that was a matched set. I also remember seeing a blouse in a botique type magazine for a lot of money that had every section a different print - both sides of the front/back, sleeves/cuffs, pocket all different. I made one like it out of scraps in yellow/green/purple/violet.
    TwandasMom

This quilt just makes you want to smile!!!!! It is a keeper!!!!!!

bright and cheerful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
    I remember those color rules also, I also remember pondering the fact that nature did not follow those rules and had great success in creating beauty. I could not for the life of me understand why blue and green could not go together. I also remember when my mother showed me a cover of, I think, Life magazine with models wearing blue and green together saying see now we can wear blue and green together. I looked at the blue bachelor buttons in the garden and snorted, I was ever tactful as a child. I also remember when our health class teacher who also doubled as the boys PE teacher told me in class that stripes, my blouse, and tweed, my skirt, did not go together. I also remember my trip to the principals office for replying " since when were you elected fashion director of Newport Oregon?" As I said ever tactful and demure. I felt vindicated a month later when he and the girls PE teacher ran off together, both were married to other people...it was a big scandal. I just laughed when I heard,and said, "I knew he had bad taste" As I said tactful and sweetly forgiving.....I will bet where ever they are today one of them is wearing stripes and plaids in blue and green. Here you need to know I am laughing still but in a sweet, demure, tactful manner.
    Love your story and your sense of humor!!!

When I started quilting, I thought you had to use solids or only one print. Have a lot of solids in my scraps. Now anything goes.
    Quiltlady

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast