Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
grandma's start >

grandma's start

grandma's start

Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I wish I knew what she was going for, My mom gave me this after I started to quilt, though I would like it etc, I want to do more on it one day, I keep my eyes open for fabrics that go with it. She has a border started on one side, maybe a pillow?

She passed quiet a few years ago now, but it is nice to have something like this that was once hers.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-16700.jpe  
Old 07-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Awesome, how old is it? It would make a great pillow or table topper.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

I have no idea how old it is, it came from grandma's after she passed away, none of the boys have any idea when she would have been working on it. There is a stack of extra pieces, probably for matching ones, or a different project. Not what I need to finish this particular pattern though.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:09 PM

I have a shoebox of patches my grandmother's mother made. Looks like shirting fabric and other odds and ends. There are spots - could be rust or blood. One year for Christmas I picked out the nicest blocks - 9 patch they were - and put 5 patch blocks with 4 muslin blocks, and some sashing, and made pillow tops. I knotted the layers instead of quilting them before I put the pillow form in them. I made 3 - one for my Mother, that I now have - and her 2 sisters. They were so surprised to receive them at Christmas - they all teared up! But you do wonder when you open such a box - what were they planning? Who was the quilt for? Why didn't she finish it? If the pieces could talk!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

it is all done by hand and I want to continue with it that was as well,

There was a few other pieces in the bag and I am trying to figuurre out what to do with them all.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:07 PM

I have a quilt my great grandmother made with that pattern (Grandmother's Flower Garden). And it does look like she was using old clothing or scraps from things that were made - a common practice back then. One idea if you don't wish to make a whole quilt is to take off the outer blue pieces and applique it to a background fabric then frame it for a picture. You could applique it to a muslin background and then embroider "grandma's start" under it... :lol:
Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

If you didn't want to finish it, how about framing it in a nice frame? I think that is a lovely way to honor our ancestors.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

I would love to frame it, great idea, the thing is I can see Grandma Abbott coming down and slapping my fingers for it, she was very thrifty etc, didn't like to waste anything, I can just see her telling me to put it to good use. I want to be able to do it justice, I have not done a lot of hand work, maybe I can talk a member into talking me through it.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

After I find suitable fabric to match that is
Old 07-27-2009, 04:43 PM

Keepsake quilting has a lot of repro fabrics that you could pick from. I would take off the blue and get a little fabric of the same era to complete it and make a pillow. If you just replaced the blue and then put it on muslin, it would make a lovely pillow. It wouldn't be tat difficult and not take a lot of time to do just one row. If the spots bother you, soak it in vinegar and water. It worked for me when I was given some very old Dresden Plate blocks. Most of the stains came right out.